After crash not displaying desktop

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon

After crash not displaying desktop

Postby frozenking on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:58 pm

The linux mint version is 14 cinnamon with windows 7 dual boot.

Actually, the problem started when I was just edited the cinnamon settings, I changed my cursor to black and then the system hanged while only mouse was working. So,I reset the system but then the problem occured in linux mint is that it is not showing desktop contents, only wallpaper is displayed.

How to solve this problem!! :?:
frozenking
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: After crash not displaying desktop

Postby michielv on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:21 am

I have an equal problem with Mint 14 and Cinnamon.
I just started my desktop and after login, I only can see the wallpaper. No panel, no icons, no context menu when right click on the desktop, nothing ...
I didn't changed the Cinnamon settings before this problem started.
If I login with Gnome everything works, but I want to work with Cinnamon.
I have no clue how to solve this problem or what causes the problem.

Any sollution much appreciated :D
michielv
Level 1
Level 1

Postby michielv on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:01 am

Ok,

I could solve my problem by reinstalling my video Amd driver.

Regards,
Michiel
michielv
Level 1
Level 1

e: After crash not displaying desktop

Postby frozenking on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:29 am

How to install video driver without gui ? only wallpaper is displayed and don't know the commands in terminal. So, I removed cinnamon and installed mate. The problem might be with cinnamon.
frozenking
Level 1
Level 1

Postby roblm on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:29 pm

frozenking wrote:The linux mint version is 14 cinnamon with windows 7 dual boot.

Actually, the problem started when I was just edited the cinnamon settings, I changed my cursor to black and then the system hanged while only mouse was working. So,I reset the system but then the problem occured in linux mint is that it is not showing desktop contents, only wallpaper is displayed.

How to solve this problem!! :?:

Try resetting the Cinnamon desktop by deleting the file that stores the desktop settings. It's a hidden file located in
/home/your-user-name/.config/dconf. Delete the file "user". A new one will be created the next time your computer is started or you
log out and back in.
roblm
Level 5
Level 5

Re: e: After crash not displaying desktop

Postby michielv on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:45 pm

frozenking wrote:How to install video driver without gui ? only wallpaper is displayed and don't know the commands in terminal. So, I removed cinnamon and installed mate. The problem might be with cinnamon.

I switched temporary to the Gnome desktop on the login screen instead of the Cinnamon desktop.
I have my proprietary driver from http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.42&lang=English (might be different for you). This driver accelerates my video fps to 125.
michielv
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Cinnamon