After crash not displaying desktop

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frozenking

After crash not displaying desktop

Post by frozenking »

The linux mint version is 14 cinnamon with windows 7 dual boot.

Actually, the problem started when I was just edited the cinnamon settings, I changed my cursor to black and then the system hanged while only mouse was working. So,I reset the system but then the problem occured in linux mint is that it is not showing desktop contents, only wallpaper is displayed.

How to solve this problem!! :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michielv
Level 1
Level 1

Re: After crash not displaying desktop

Post by michielv »

I have an equal problem with Mint 14 and Cinnamon.
I just started my desktop and after login, I only can see the wallpaper. No panel, no icons, no context menu when right click on the desktop, nothing ...
I didn't changed the Cinnamon settings before this problem started.
If I login with Gnome everything works, but I want to work with Cinnamon.
I have no clue how to solve this problem or what causes the problem.

Any sollution much appreciated :D
michielv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by michielv »

Ok,

I could solve my problem by reinstalling my video Amd driver.

Regards,
Michiel
frozenking

e: After crash not displaying desktop

Post by frozenking »

How to install video driver without gui ? only wallpaper is displayed and don't know the commands in terminal. So, I removed cinnamon and installed mate. The problem might be with cinnamon.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

frozenking wrote:The linux mint version is 14 cinnamon with windows 7 dual boot.

Actually, the problem started when I was just edited the cinnamon settings, I changed my cursor to black and then the system hanged while only mouse was working. So,I reset the system but then the problem occured in linux mint is that it is not showing desktop contents, only wallpaper is displayed.

How to solve this problem!! :?:
Try resetting the Cinnamon desktop by deleting the file that stores the desktop settings. It's a hidden file located in
/home/your-user-name/.config/dconf. Delete the file "user". A new one will be created the next time your computer is started or you
log out and back in.
michielv
Level 1
Level 1

Re: e: After crash not displaying desktop

Post by michielv »

frozenking wrote:How to install video driver without gui ? only wallpaper is displayed and don't know the commands in terminal. So, I removed cinnamon and installed mate. The problem might be with cinnamon.
I switched temporary to the Gnome desktop on the login screen instead of the Cinnamon desktop.
I have my proprietary driver from http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... ng=English (might be different for you). This driver accelerates my video fps to 125.

Return to “Cinnamon”