mouse buttons?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nvrBungeeJumped

mouse buttons?

Post by nvrBungeeJumped »

What is the best way to configure mouse buttons in Linux mint?

I am using an Evoluent VerticalMouse 4, which has a bunch of nice buttons I'de like to take advantage of. Unfortunately evoulant does not have a linux driver, they've only just got a macintosh drive out.

What other options are there for configuring these buttons. I mostly want to set one to close a window and two others to cycle through google chrome tabs. Can I do this with keyboard shortcuts? Instead of a keyboard command, just map that action to a mouse button?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Thubo

Re: mouse buttons?

Post by Thubo »

You can use xbindkeys, xvkbd and xautomation to bind nearly any command or key-combo to one or your mouse buttons. I use it with my Logitech Performance MX and it works without any problems, although the configuration is not as easy as with a nice driver on windows...
nvrBungeeJumped

what ever works...

I'll give it a try. Which one works the best for you/currently using or like the most?
Thubo

Post by Thubo »

You need all three tools ;)

xbindkeys reads a configuration in /home/<user>/.xbindkeysrc which holds for example information like this:

Code: Select all

#Mouse10 => Mouse2
  "xte 'mouseclick 2' "
   b:10 + Release
This one binds the mouse button 10 (The window switcher button on my mouse) to produce the same action as if I clicked the middle key of my mouse (mouse-copy). xvkbd and xautomation kind of "perform" the actions you bind with xbindkeys. You could also bind any key-combination like alt+tab or whatever you like to this mouse button. You can also bind keyboard shotcuts or extra buttons on you keyboard...for example:

#\
"xvkbd -xsendevent -text '\[backslash]'"
    m:0xc + c:20
    Control+Alt + ssharp
creates a backslash if you press the left ctr+alt and backslash (you need it if you type with the 10-finger-system).
To find out which signal your mouse initially sends when clicking a button you can use

xev |grep button 
The exact synthax for the .xbindkeysrc file is a little tricky, google holds a lot of examples ;)
Cheers,
Thubo

PS. If you changed your .xbindkeysrc and what to test it without restarting just do:

sudo killall xbindkeys
xbindkeys -f /home/<user>/.xbindkeysrc
nvrBungeeJumped

Okay, cool! I'll give it a try this weekend when I have sometime off school and let you know how it goes.

Return to “Beginner Questions”