Logging in as root.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newyorkpaulie
Level 3
Level 3

Logging in as root.

Post by newyorkpaulie »

In Mint 11 I was able to login as root at the graphical login screen.
In trying out Mint 14 I find that there is a message: "You are not allowed to login as administrator." (or something very similar).
Anyone know how to change this? Yes, I know all about the dangers, but have been using this for years. I know one can use "su" and go from there, but there are times when I want to use the GUI to make my changes, adjustments, etc. and not have to use the command line.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Running Linux Mint Mate 20.3 on a T61 ThinkPad.
viking777

Re: Logging in as root.

Post by viking777 »

but there are times when I want to use the GUI to make my changes, adjustments, etc. and not have to use the command line.
Then login as a normal user and start a gui program as root, that is what the rest of us do - if we need to that is.

You can't login as root unless you create a root account btw.
newyorkpaulie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by newyorkpaulie »

Can you explain how you "start a gui program as root" please? Once you've logged in aren't all your gui programs started in "your username"?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Press Alt+F2 to open the run dialog, then type the command to launch your program and prefix it with gksudo (or kdesu for KDE). So for example if you want to open Gedit as root, you run:

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit
You are asked for your password and then program will open as root. This limits what accidental stupid things you can do, as only one program is running as root and not all. Aside from the obvious security implications of running as root.

If you insist you want to log in as root, then do so. It's disabled by default but you can allow the system administrator to log in in the Login Window application.
newyorkpaulie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by newyorkpaulie »

You said "you can allow the system administrator to log in in the Login Window application". What app is that... I couldn't find it. It can't be the login screen. Can you point me to it please? Thanks!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

On Linux Mint 14 it's in your menu, administration section. But on all expect Xfce you can just open your menu and start typing "login window" to find it for you :wink:
renatov

Post by renatov »

Menu >> Administration >> Login window >> Security (tab) >> enable "Allow local system administrator login"

But seriously, what you're doing is totally wrong. There are graphical interfaces for su and sudo, like gksu. You should not login as root.

Return to “Beginner Questions”