Cinnamon stability on AMD Radeon HD 5650

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Elysium

Cinnamon stability on AMD Radeon HD 5650

Post by Elysium »

I am wondering if cinnamon gets updated in linux mint 15? For me it was a bit slow and buggy while mate works perfectly. So...that's why I suppose it is the desktop environment cinnamon that wasnt working well.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Does anyone know if cinnamon gets updated in linux mint

Post by xenopeek »

https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap

Cinnamon on Linux Mint 14 is much more stable than on Linux Mint 13, but your graphics card drivers might be buggy (common cause of problems).
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

xenopeek wrote:https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap

Cinnamon on Linux Mint 14 is much more stable than on Linux Mint 13, but your graphics card drivers might be buggy (common cause of problems).
Is there a solution?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Depends on your system specifics :wink: If you want help from others here, share some details. A good way is to open the terminal application and type the following command followed by enter. Copy the output here. You can copy text to/from the terminal, see its Edit menu.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

xenopeek wrote:Depends on your system specifics :wink: If you want help from others here, share some details. A good way is to open the terminal application and type the following command followed by enter. Copy the output here. You can copy text to/from the terminal, see its Edit menu.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Thanks again for your message.

What information do we exactly need to know in order to sort out the VGA problem? I mean I just simply need the detailed info on the VGA? That's it?

EDIT:here is the info I extracted using that inxi command. So.....the rendering says "yes". I do have 3-d acceleration. When I used cinnamon everything looked good...but I just had this problem that every now and then when using the expo mode or scale mode...it got slow.

System: Host: XXXXX Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.2) Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Machine: Mobo: Acer model: Aspire 5740 version: Rev Bios: Phoenix version: V1.09 date: 11/26/2009
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 CPU M 330 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8511.9
Clock Speeds: 1: 933.00 MHz 2: 933.00 MHz 3: 933.00 MHz 4: 2133.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Madison [Radeon HD 5000M Series] bus-ID: 02:00.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD REDWOOD GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0.2 Direct Rendering: Yes

Audio: Card-1: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5000 Series] driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 02:00.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.25
Network: Card-1: Atheros AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k bus-ID: 05:00.0
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Card-2: Broadcom NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3 ver: 3.123 bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 750.2GB (38.5% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MK7575GS size: 750.2GB
Partition: ID: / size: 582G used: 269G (49%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 8.59GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 58.0C mobo: 40.0C gpu: 69.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 190 Uptime: 1:25 Memory: 1346.2/3817.5MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.7.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You can correct, normally a inxi -Gx would suffice--which gives only the details about the graphics card and driver as you have made bold in above. However, because slowness and buggyness can also be caused by other factors I prefer to also see things like CPU, memory usage, temperatures and such. Just to rule out other obvious culprits.

AMD graphics cards are not my experience, so I'm moving your topic to the graphics card section and updating your topic title to reflect request for assistance.
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

xenopeek wrote:You can correct, normally a inxi -Gx would suffice--which gives only the details about the graphics card and driver as you have made bold in above. However, because slowness and buggyness can also be caused by other factors I prefer to also see things like CPU, memory usage, temperatures and such. Just to rule out other obvious culprits.

AMD graphics cards are not my experience, so I'm moving your topic to the graphics card section and updating your topic title to reflect request for assistance.
Perfect. Thanks a lot.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Cinnamon stability on [Radeon HD 5000M Series]

Post by xenopeek »

Seems the ATI Madison would be one of the following four chips:
- Mobility Radeon HD 5650
- Mobility Radeon HD 5730
- Mobility Radeon HD 5750
- Mobility Radeon HD 5770

Perhaps that helps somebody else narrow down on what you can do to improve stability.
Elysium

Re: Cinnamon stability on [Radeon HD 5000M Series]

Post by Elysium »

xenopeek wrote:Seems the ATI Madison would be one of the following four chips:
- Mobility Radeon HD 5650
- Mobility Radeon HD 5730
- Mobility Radeon HD 5750
- Mobility Radeon HD 5770

Perhaps that helps somebody else narrow down on what you can do to improve stability.
It is Mobility Radeon HD 5650. That is for sure.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”