Mate menu in xfce [Solved]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PussyCat

Mate menu in xfce [Solved]

Post by PussyCat »

I have been experimenting with various flavours of Mint since Helena (which I love but, of course, it's no longer supported). At last, I think I've found one in Mint 13 xfce.

Only one thing I don't like is the antiquated menus.

A little research indicates that Mate menus can be used via a "mintMenu" entry (if you see what I mean!). However, although SPM says that it is already installed I cannot find it anywhere?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GeneC

Re: Mate menu in xfce

Post by GeneC »

Mintmenu is a Gnome app (Mate is a fork of Gnome 2.3), so you need xfapplet (xfce4-xfapplet-plugin) to add it to the XFCE panel. Xfapplet lets you add Gnome applet to XFCE panel... :wink:

Add xfapplet to the panel, then add Mintmenu to it..

xfapplet info
http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel- ... let-plugin
PussyCat

Post by PussyCat »

Thanks - but xfce4-xfapplet-plugin is also pre-installed!

OK - right click panel > launch add new item > xfapplet - but nothing happens! This will clearly need further investigation...
PussyCat

Post by PussyCat »

Ok - cracked it!

Didn't spot the tiny icon at the right of the panel. Nor did I realise that, after adding MintMenu, it couldn't be moved and nor could it be removed - so had to reinstall Mint. Now remember to move icon to desired position before adding MintMenu.

Even took the risk of removing original menu but not a problem either because it's still available via right-click on desktop!

Return to “Xfce”