Kkeyboard settings

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jsplicer

Kkeyboard settings

Post by jsplicer »

I'm in linux KDE 14. On my keyboard when I used to use Mate the top buttons such as calculator, mail and home buttons all worked. they took me to the prospective button. In KDE this is not the case, but the volume on the keyboard does work, which is werd in itself and a matter for another topic.

My question is, is there a way in KDE 14 to bind those hot keys to what they call for. I would like the calc button to take me to kcalc, the home button to take me straight to the home folder, and the mail button to take me to thunderbird.

I alread went into Default applications and selected Thunderbird as my default email client but it still doesn't work. Thank you for your patience with all my questions, I'm sure these will help others too. I already got a lot of answers to my questions from looking at the board, it solved a lot of my problems without me having to make a post.

Thanks,

John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
anandrkris

Re: Kkeyboard settings

Post by anandrkris »

I have not tried them...Hope this info helps....
http://superuser.com/questions/415772/h ... -in-linux
You'll need to find out what key code those buttons generate. You can do this by using a program called "xev". Once you have the key codes, you can use "xmodmap" to map those key codes to keys (usually function keys) and then use them for key combos in your favorite flavor of desktop manager.
http://dev-loki.blogspot.co.uk/2006/04/ ... odmap.html
http://keytouch.sourceforge.net/about.html
jsplicer

Re: Kkeyboard settings

Post by jsplicer »

anandrkris, I really appreciate you responding, no one wanted to touch this one with a ten foot pole.

I had other issues with KDE in my sound. It kept looking for an nvidia sound card, and defaulting to that, opening (kmix) on any reboots, I dont have a sound card installed on my homemade.... I have Realtech ALC889 High Def audio, I get 2/4/5.1/7.1 channels, what do I need an audio card for on my motherboard that has been working fine under any OS. Right away in another post someone was trying to suggest that I have a hardware problem.

Anyway to get to the point, for some reason linux Mint Mate14, stopped working for me after a Wine and PlayonLinux install, LMM14 would installl fine but then go into an endless loop on login. I have a feeling when I bricked it with Wine and linux play, that something got stored into memory. Becuase I wiped both drives clean, LMM14 would not work. So I said for the hell of it, let me try MAYA! Linux Mint Mate 13. And it works fine!

All the buttons on the keyboard work, the sound works, it all works. I don't know if I should just leave this alone or get brave and try to install Cairo Dock. I love that dock but Compiz don't play well with others...

Return to “Software & Applications”