EFI linux mint 14 + windows 8

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
edoz90

EFI linux mint 14 + windows 8

Post by edoz90 »

Hi there!!

I bought a new computer with windows 8 preinstalled. the pc is an ACER ASPEIRE v3-571g with EFI. I want to install linux mint 14 and i didn't found anything on how do this on EFI.
Can someone help me???
Can i format the HD and install windows 7 + linux mint 14??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: EFI linux mint 14 + windows 8

Post by bigj231 »

You have to disable secureboot before you do anything else. I think it's usually an option in the BIOS menu. Look for tutorials for your particular system. Once you do that, you can do pretty much anything. If you want to keep windows 8, use it's built-in disk management utility to make room for Linux. To install Mint with EFI, you should use a Mint 14 disc or USB (I prefer USB for speed and convenience) and you must boot it via EFI instead of BIOS. Again, find a tutorial for your system. If you boot the LiveUSB via EFI, it will install everything needed to work with EFI.
If you want to use Windows 7 instead of 8, I would still recommend an EFI install. You can use Mint to partition your disk, install Windows 7, then install Mint. Make sure to partition your disk with GPT instead of MBR. Gparted supports both.
arealvel

Re: EFI linux mint 14 + windows 8

Post by arealvel »

Can i format the HD and install windows 7 + linux mint 14??
Yes, as bigj231 say. But you won't be able to reinstall after w8 again.
I bought a new computer with windows 8 preinstalled. the pc is an ACER ASPEIRE v3-571g with EFI. I want to install linux mint 14 and i didn't found anything on how do this on EFI.
My advice is to reduce the System partition (C:) or/and the Data partition (D:), without deleting none of the Windows partition or changing their names. In this way you would be easily able to recovery your Windows system from the recovery partition or from backup if you need it.

Return to “Installation & Boot”