networking Mint 14 Cinnamon with Windows 8 (Solved)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
corkncat
Level 2
Level 2

networking Mint 14 Cinnamon with Windows 8 (Solved)

Post by corkncat »

I'm having a problem seeing my Windows 8 pc. I have a Netgear 3500 router with four PC's on it. The OS's are Win XP, Win 7, Win 8 & Mint 14-Cinnamon. I can access the Win XP & Win 7 machines by going to "File", "Connect to Server", type 192.168.1.****, selecting "Windows Share" and then "Connect". This method does not work on the Win 8 pc. I can't however access my Mint box from the Windows pc's. I'm very familiar with Windows but not Mint, can someone walk this newbie through the steps of networking these machines so that I can access the Windows pc's from Mint and the Mint pc from the Windows pc's? Is there a site that has a tutorial that covers this? Thanks.
Oops, I'm such a Linux newbie that I forgot Linux reads Windows formatted dives but Windows doesn't read Linxu formatted drives.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
corkncat
Level 2
Level 2

Re: networking Mint 14 Cinnamon with Windows 8

Post by corkncat »

Thanks to all who viewed my post. I figured out my problem, I had forgotten to turn off password protected sharing on the Windows 8 pc.

Return to “Networking”