Skype micro too quiet

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
S1l3nced

Skype micro too quiet

Post by S1l3nced »

Hello everyone,

I've got a really annoying problem. Since I've installed Mint 14 Cinnamon, my built-in microfon is always too quiet when i am talking to others via skype. I am using a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e330 notebook.
I've disabled "auto configuration" in skype and I've tried to configurate my microfon manually via alsamixer. But this also doesn't work.
In Ubuntu 12.04 I haven't got any problems using skype with my built-in microfon.
Have you got any suggestions what I can do?
Thanks and best regards!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
semicolon

Re: Skype micro too quiet

Post by semicolon »

Have you already had a look at the sound settings? Just go to the menu and search for a program called 'sound'. At the input tab you should see your microphone and if all is well you can amplify it.
xC0re

Post by xC0re »

I have the same problem on my Lenovo x220t (mint 14 cinnamon).
Even my external one is much too quiet.
I have this problem with skype and audacity.
In the sound settings my mic is on 100%. If I increase the amplification there is to much noise and I can't understand what I say.
Alsamixer doesn't work for me. I've searched online but everything (ubuntu related) what I've found didn't work.

I am a completely newbie. Up to last week I had Windows on my notebook. There the mic worked fine.
semicolon

Post by semicolon »

@S1l3nced Is it just skype that is not working correctly or does the microphone not work well at all?

Unfortunately I don't have much experience using microphones, so these are just 3 more random ideas:
  • 1. Check if the hardware profile is set to 'analogue stereo duplex' in the sound settings

Code: Select all

Sound settings > Hardware > Profile: Analogue Stereo Duplex
  • 2. Try install pulse audio volume control. It will let you control the volume level per application, as soon as an application starts recording it will show up under the recording tab. It should be recognized in the sound options by skype as well.

sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
  • 3. Remove pulseaudio, reboot and then try again to use alsamixer to manage the settings.
S1l3nced

Post by S1l3nced »

@semicolon: Hmm.. maybe I try out VoIP in Steam. Or I should install audacity.
I've installed pavucontrol, I hope this will be the solution. I will report later, after I tested my micro again.

Thanks for your help!
semicolon

Post by semicolon »

You can use the standard 'Sound Recorder' in Mint to test your microphone. Or if you're a fan of the terminal:

arecord -d 5 test-mic.wav
aplay test-mic.wav
xC0re

Post by xC0re »

Still doesn't work for me.
I've checked the sound setting: It's on analog stereo duplex
I've installed pulse audio volume control: Everything on 100%. Still a much too quiet micro.
I've removed pulse audio and used only the alsamixer. Still quiet. If I set the amplification to 40db my speech is loud enough to hear (although still a bit quiet) but there is to much noise to use it for something.

Any other ideas?
I'm starting to become desperate :?
nikosmitros
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nikosmitros »

I have the same problem with an Acer Aspire, 4830T. I have installed Linux Mint 13, Cinnamon. My sound works with Banshee. I also tested the internal microphone with the sound recorder, and records fine. The playback is fine. But, when I use Skype, the playback is very very faint. Increasing the volume in Volume Control doesn't have any effect. I checked the Acer web-site for sound drivers for Linux, but couldn't have found any. Apparently, Acer doesn't provide any drivers for Linux.
thanks in advance to anyone who can help solve this
Chraz Ritt

Post by Chraz Ritt »

Guys, I don't see where anyone is checking or suggesting checking the settings within Skype. In Skype there is a section of settings that controls the sound settings just for Skype, has any of you who are having problems checked them?

Edit: On rereading it does seem that the OP has looked in the correct area of Skype, but does not mention setting the slider control, just says he turned off the auto control function.
xC0re

Post by xC0re »

I tested it again today and everything works. I don't know why.
Two weeks ago it was much too quiet. Since then I didn't change a thing because I had other things to do and now it works.
It's not perfect, but at least I can understand myself if I record my voice.
This might be because of any update, but I don't really know.
Jim The Tyreman

Post by Jim The Tyreman »

Have to say my skype sound is AWFUL! All crackley and horrible! I can get a good volume level but even if i turn it right down and hardly hear it, it's so crackly!!

Any ideas?

Sound was fine in XP?!

Return to “Sound”