eye of mate

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

eye of mate

Postby trumpcouptimmy on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:15 pm

My LMDE Mate system says that it is up to date and has update pack 6. The following has been happening for a while. When I try to double click to open a pdf, Eye of Mate says "could not load image whatever.pdf". This happens with all pdf's including ones I just created seconds ago from Libre Office. I work around it by opening it with Document Viewer and there's no problem looking at the pdf. I thought there might be a problem, so I thought I'd remove eom from the system and install it again. I knew something was not right when it also wanted to remove mate-desktop-environment so I cancelled that. I searched for a similar problem with eye of mate and had no hits. What to do now?
trumpcouptimmy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: eye of mate

Postby passerby on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:05 am

I just tried opening a PDF with eom. It isn't a problem with your installation; it doesn't look like eom supports PDFs.
mate-desktop-environment is a metapackage that references a bunch of default applications that should be installed with mate. Since eom is one of them, removing eom would mean that not all of the applications referenced are installed, thus removing mate-desktop-environment. Not to worry though; it's just a metapackage, so you can safely remove mate-desktop-environment without doing any damage.

Why not just make the document viewer your default PDF viewer? Right click on a PDF > Properties > Open With > Select the viewer and hit "Set as default"
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Re: eye of mate

Postby trumpcouptimmy on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:04 pm

I thought of that. I'll do that because removing the mate-desktop-environment sounds scary to me. Thanks for the reply.
trumpcouptimmy
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions