eye of mate

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
trumpcouptimmy

eye of mate

Post by trumpcouptimmy »

My LMDE Mate system says that it is up to date and has update pack 6. The following has been happening for a while. When I try to double click to open a pdf, Eye of Mate says "could not load image whatever.pdf". This happens with all pdf's including ones I just created seconds ago from Libre Office. I work around it by opening it with Document Viewer and there's no problem looking at the pdf. I thought there might be a problem, so I thought I'd remove eom from the system and install it again. I knew something was not right when it also wanted to remove mate-desktop-environment so I cancelled that. I searched for a similar problem with eye of mate and had no hits. What to do now?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: eye of mate

Post by passerby »

I just tried opening a PDF with eom. It isn't a problem with your installation; it doesn't look like eom supports PDFs.
mate-desktop-environment is a metapackage that references a bunch of default applications that should be installed with mate. Since eom is one of them, removing eom would mean that not all of the applications referenced are installed, thus removing mate-desktop-environment. Not to worry though; it's just a metapackage, so you can safely remove mate-desktop-environment without doing any damage.

Why not just make the document viewer your default PDF viewer? Right click on a PDF > Properties > Open With > Select the viewer and hit "Set as default"
trumpcouptimmy

Re: eye of mate

Post by trumpcouptimmy »

I thought of that. I'll do that because removing the mate-desktop-environment sounds scary to me. Thanks for the reply.

Return to “LMDE Archive”