HP Deskjet 1125c, not recognized [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

HP Deskjet 1125c, not recognized [SOLVED]

Post by rudar »

Hello! I have installed the new LMDE ISO on a PC with an old HP Deskjet printer 1125c. There was a Win 7 Home edition before on that computer and I have replaced it with LMDE. The printer is directly connected to the PC. It seems that LMDE has 'recognized' it, but it won't print.
I did not manage to find a solution to my problem :oops: and I am compelled to ask you for an advice. :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

Re: HP Deskjet 1125c, not recognized

Post by rudar »

This is the message I receive:

Error. Option 'printer-resolution' has value '(unknown IPP tag)' and cannot be edited.
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rudar »

Thank you, zerozero, but I admit I have seen that page before, and I could not find a solution. The problem still persists. :?
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rudar »

I have checked this: http://hplipopensource.com/

but it was in vain, because there was no LMDE among the versions offered. It's even more strange, because I checked my printer with Debian 6.0.6 Live and it was accepted at once, no problems at all. Besides, at another PC I have HP Deskjet 656c and I can print with LMDE without problems. I'd really like to know how to make this printer (HP Deskjet 1125c) work with this new ISO of LMDE. :?:
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rudar »

There appears a small progress... I entered these lines into terminal:

sudo apt-get purge cups && sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install cup

and then

sudo dpkg-reconfigure cups

Now, LMDE can see my printer, but I still cannot use it. When I tried to print the test page, I got the message:

Option 'printer-resolution' has value '(unknown IPP tag)' and cannot be edited

and

Idle - no profiles specified in PPD

My printer has the parallel connection to PC. Any advices, please? :?:
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rudar »

I tried to follow Lizbeth's advice from the similar topic and I installed through Synaptic HPLip, but nothing has changed. When I try to print a document from the LO Writer, I only see 'Generic printer', instead of my DeskJet 1125c, and when I checked my printer through the Control Centre, there was a message:

Processing - no profiles specified

Is it possible that Debian does not provide drivers for these old printers any more? I've checked it with Debian Live 6.0.3 and there were no problems, I printed easily. The old kernel (2.6.32) works fine with old printers. This LMDE kernel is 3.2.0-4, and there are problems...
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rudar »

I checked my printer with Debian Live 6.0.3. It worked fine, I got the test page without problems. I see that this version of Debian uses CUPS 1.4.4. I assumed there may be problems with CUPS in LMDE and tried to install new CUPS (python-cups 1.9.62-0ubuntu1-amd64.deb), but it was a failure, with the message:

Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libc6 (>= 2.14)

I assume it's because Ubuntu is not accepted here in Debian. But I believe I need older CUPS 1.4.4, which works fine with Debian (CUPS+Gutenprint v.5.2.6). Where can I get these older CUPS?
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rudar »

Just for the record: I tried to run this printer HP 1125 c with Debian Wheezy 7.0 Live, but there was no reply. It remained dead as before. However, then I tried to run with Wheezy an even older printer (HP 656c). It worked perfectly. As I can see, kernel is the same in Wheezy and in LMDE (3.2-0.4). So, there is just some detail that's missing. I have no other option but to use Debian Squeeze 6.0.3 Live when I want to print on HP 1125c, because it recognizes it immediately.
Benja1972

Post by Benja1972 »

I had a problem with HP P1102 from some UPD package, probably from the UPD4. Same problem - unknown tag

Resolved the problem only few days ago

a) Update python-cups from Debian experimental including dependencies
b) install HP printer by *Add new printer* and selecting HPLIPS driver
c) went to installed printer properties and change manual driver to Foomatic/foo2zjs-z2

Now the printer works fluently
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

Re: HP Deskjet 1125c, not recognized [SOLVED]

Post by rudar »

Hello! After several months of fruitless attempts I have finally made my old printer working (i.e. without interfering of oldstable Debian Squeeze 6.3, which is the distro I had to use in live mode to make it working). I followed the advice given at this link: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=128802

Apparently, the ultimate catch was to re-install libgs9, with this line:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgs9

I cannot figure it out why it did not work before, but it makes me more happy now. Bless you, Monsta!

Return to “LMDE Archive”