Classic Panel Layout

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Classic Panel Layout

Post by borgward »

I selected Classic Panel Layout, so that the tabs for the apps I had running would appear in the bottom panel, and the applets (time, battery status, network connection, etc would appear in the top panel). I also have buttons for what I frequently use (browser, editor, calculator, etc in the top panel)

The bottom panel is there, but nothing is in it. How do I get the tabs for the apps I have open to appear there? Drag and drop does not do it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gauravjuvekar

Re: Classic Panel Layout

Post by gauravjuvekar »

Depending on your cinnamon version, go to applet settings and add the window-list applet.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

The window-list applet is already added. The widow-list appears in the top panel. I want them to appear in the bottom panel. How do I get things to appear in the bottom panel? The bottom panel is at the bottom, but is empty.
sjmcc

Post by sjmcc »

In the screenshot above, see where it says Panel Edit Mode? Activate that and then you can drag and drop your applets to whatever part of the panel you want them to be on. Or in your case to your bottom panel. When you are done just turn Panel Edit Mode back to off.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

I do not see Panel Edit Mode in the screenshot. All I see is the screenshot I am sending. The lower box in you screenshot does not appear on my computer. How do I get it to appear?
sjmcc

Post by sjmcc »

You can go to the main menu find Preferences->Cinnamon Settings->Panel. There is a checkbox for Panel Edit mode. You can also click the little arrow on your panel if you have the Cinnamon Settings applet active. Click it and at the bottom you will see a switch for Panel Edit Mode.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

So what do I do after I turn Panel Edit Mode On? Anytime it is on, anything in the panel does not work.

I want the panels t work like they do in Ubuntu 10.04. Applets displayed in the top panel, and icons for open windows in the bottom panel.
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

OK, the three steps are:
1. Turn Panel Edit Mode on.
2. DRAG and DROP the window list to the bottom panel.
3. Turn Panel Edit Mode off.
Done :)
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

Thanks to all. Problem solved. That was a bit of trouble though. In Ubuntu 10.04 that could all be done drag and drop. No poking around.
gauravjuvekar

Post by gauravjuvekar »

please mark the problem as SOLVED in the title
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Classic Panel Layout Problem Solved

Post by borgward »

Was looking for "Problem Solved" button. Actually the problem is partly solved. It takes to many steps to accomplish what I was able to do in Ubuntu 10.04 with drag and drop.

There are more steps now than when I first began using Mint 14 since I updated. I was able to drag and drop Icons (Applets?) from the menu to the panel. now I have to right click and select "Add To Panel". Not so bad, but how to know what to do w/out bothering the forum. Drag and drop is intuitve.
gauravjuvekar

Post by gauravjuvekar »

You can stil drag and drop from the menu to the panel-launchers applet if that's what you mean.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

Not anymore. Just tried it. I could a few weeks ago before last update, but no longer.

Return to “Cinnamon”