Hangs "Booting the kernel"

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
blakeyed

Hangs "Booting the kernel"

Post by blakeyed »

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade an old computer system and I decided to install LMDE 201303. I burned the DVD and tried to boot. I see the menu to start the OS or the compatibility mode, but when I choose one, it decompress the kernel and shows the message "Booting the kernel", then it hangs. Just before it, the screen blinks, but I can't start the OS or install LMDE.

The computer has an AMD Athlon 900MHz and a NVidia GeForce 2 display card. It has installed a Linux based OS with kernel 2.6.32 and it runs well.

Thank you

Best regards,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Hangs "Booting the kernel"

Post by M_aD »

Sounds like a PC that's 13 years old or so(the AMD Athlon 900MHz was released in 2000).
Sorry but i don't expect it to run any modern Linux OS like LMDE 201303 or other Mint edition or even another modern distro from out there because they are just too heavy for that machine.
blakeyed

Post by blakeyed »

Thanks for the reply Mr.B, but it's currently running an i686 kernel, I want to run another i686 kernel in this system. I'm trying xUbuntu with the same result, can't boot. I will try other distros, just to see if they work.
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

As i kinda said blakeyed, the machine is way too old and won't run any current modern linux distro. Don't expect any big name distro to boot on that machine. Linux might run (fine) on 4 to 6 year old hardware but 11 to 13 years, no....

Here's a list from distrowatch that will show you distro's that say to run on older computers but i still doubt they will on the machine you have:

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?categ ... +Computers
blakeyed

Post by blakeyed »

No luck yet with some of this distros. I think it's about Linux kernel 3, can't boot with it. It could be old hw, but I can't even boot i386 kernel.
blakeyed

Post by blakeyed »

I have new debug information, I added earylyprintk=vga to the kernel before booting and I got a kernel panic: "Kernel panic - not syncing: Cannot allocate trampoline".

Anyone knows what's that?

Thanks

Return to “LMDE Archive”