Lubuntu Fork LXLE

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Lubuntu Fork LXLE

Post by KBD47 »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The Dark Side

Re: Lubuntu Fork LXLE

Post by The Dark Side »

Looks great. A version based on Lubuntu, but with five years of support, with Firefox and LibreOffice already included in it. Undoubtedly, it looks very attractive. I think that's what you should do Lubuntu, LTS versions with five years of support, and better programs included. If Xubuntu and switched to DVD, why not book a fuller Lubuntu on DVD too.-

And, incidentally, would be good (and I never tire of repeating it) back to see a Linux Mint with LXDE version in 32 and 64 bits (suddenly in the next LTS). Best regards.-
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

What it is..
  • The REAL SHORT OF IT is, this is a glorified remastered version of Lubuntu 12.04, with plans of incremental updates until the next LTS release. Any help or support can be achieved through existing (L)Ubuntu Forums, Websites, Channels, Documentation and I'll help by email if I can.
Now maybe a newer kernel version isn't provided by a later Linux distribution, and maybe you won't need it, but it is better if it is available
  • Yes you can install your own updated kernel, but most won't bother and instead accept whichever comes with the distribution
    --whether there are bugs or not..
Also stability/support via an LTS version is probably not what most desktop/workstation users are interested in; preferring instead to have newer application and system versions available to them via that distributions repositories.

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/7039/1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LXDE
--you could add that desktop to any Linux OS, if you wished, just as you could add OpenBox, fluxbox or anything else
  • LTS for those that need it may be the selling point..
http://lxde.org/
I actually had lxde running before going to xfce from Mint versions, and found it quite nice, but not that much different than xfce, apart from some menu features..
Last edited by DrHu on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Jose Manuel wrote:Looks great. A version based on Lubuntu, but with five years of support, with Firefox and LibreOffice already included in it. Undoubtedly, it looks very attractive. I think that's what you should do Lubuntu, LTS versions with five years of support, and better programs included. If Xubuntu and switched to DVD, why not book a fuller Lubuntu on DVD too.-

And, incidentally, would be good (and I never tire of repeating it) back to see a Linux Mint with LXDE version in 32 and 64 bits (suddenly in the next LTS). Best regards.-
Some of us practically begged for a 5 year LTS Lubuntu, the answer we got is that there was no way the devs could support it. I did not understand why it would not be a 5 years LTS anyway as far as security updates from Ubuntu. Heard the same thing regarding Xubuntu, it could only have 3 years of LTS support, didn't really understand that either.
Anyway, I'm very glad to see this 5 year LTS LXLE. That little distro is loaded with apps :-)
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

DRHu, I disagree somewhat. LXDE just from the repos feels like a half-finished desktop, you have to borrow things from Xfce just to make it usable, like the Xfce power manager. But Lubuntu/LXLE makes it usable out of the box and offers a better up front user experience with LXDE IMO.

Return to “Chat about Linux”