Can't open any folders after 201303 update (GNOME 32-BIT)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Can't open any folders after 201303 update (GNOME 32-BIT)

Postby DrJynx on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:33 am

Hey, I'm new to Linux and I've had Mint (MATE 32-bit) for about a month now, I updated to the new Debian two days ago and I've been having problems since, first I wasn't even able to start the computer I got a error message about something called Pipe or Pype (I don't remember :lol: ) anyways, that seemed to fix itself after a few restarts (which is how I fix most things) then after a couple of hours i restarted my laptop because it was going a bit slow and I got loads of error messages about applets not responding and if i should delete them or ignore them, I deleted them (I'm not sure why) and i can't access any folders, including my Home Folder or the Computer, when I press one of the icons the icons on my desktop disappear and then appear after about 15 seconds, the same happens if I try to open it via the 'Places' tab on my menu but after the icons appear I get an error saying 'User' is not a valid theme and the themes box pops up, I'd reinstall but I can't write a disc, all the other applications work fine apart from the fact I can't browse any of my files, Please Help!
DrJynx
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't open any folders after 201303 update (GNOME 32-BIT

Postby zerozero on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:35 am

DrJynx wrote:I've had Mint (MATE 32-bit) for about a month now, I updated to the new Debian two days ago
how was that "update" done?

[ bliss of ignorance ]
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Can't open any folders after 201303 update (GNOME 32-BIT

Postby DrJynx on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:28 am

zerozero wrote:
DrJynx wrote:I've had Mint (MATE 32-bit) for about a month now, I updated to the new Debian two days ago
how was that "update" done?
The update pop-up in the menu, I selected 'Install all packages' Or something like that and then it installed and reset, I did manage however to browse the folders by the Terminal Command 'nautilus . &' and it turns out I can't run half the programs, including software manager and gDebi package installer so I can't reinstall because I can't write the iso on the CD I have (I feel like the noobiest computer user ever at the moment...)
DrJynx
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics