Shotwell developers aim to solve Linux’s e-mail problems

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
anandrkris

Shotwell developers aim to solve Linux’s e-mail problems

Post by anandrkris »

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... -problems/
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geary ... ail-client
The amount of money we're asking for is the bare minimum to make the next version of Geary. Every dollar over $100,000 goes toward more features and a faster, stable email experience.
Why so much?

Some people have asked why we're asking for $100,000, or have suggested that an email program isn't worth that much money. A few things worth pointing out:

Quality software is expensive to develop. As explained above, we're paying three full-time engineers to develop Geary. We have little overhead other than that -- our development workstations have been are paid for with past income. Your contributions go directly to the development of Geary!
Likewise, know that existing email applications had similar development costs but were in many cases subsidized by corporate sponsors. Yorba is accepting no corporate sponsorship for the development of Geary. That means your priorities are our priorities.
Other software crowdfunding campaigns ask for less money, but they plan on selling their software later or tying it to a subscription service. Geary is 100% open-source and is tied to no email or pay service. What we're asking for is exactly what we think is needed to develop the features we've listed above.
Finally, remember that we're not asking you for $100,000, rather we're asking everyone to contribute a little toward that amount. What's a program like Geary worth to you? Most people leave email open every day and all day and are constantly working with it. Is that worth $10, $25, or $100 to you?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Shotwell developers aim to solve Linux’s e-mail problems

Post by catweazel »

anandrkris wrote:
Is that worth $10, $25, or $100 to you?
Nope.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I've always used web based email, so nope here also. But it looks interesting for an email client. Let's see how far they get :) They're just over 8% funded now, with 28 days to go...
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Even I dont intend to contribute. (I would like to give here) As I rely primarily on browser for mail. Use KMail / Trojita once in a while to get a flavor of mail client in linux.

Not sure if they will meet the goal. Anyways, wishing them good luck!
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

xenopeek wrote:I've always used web based email, so nope here also. But it looks interesting for an email client. Let's see how far they get :) They're just over 8% funded now, with 28 days to go...
Same as xenopeek never understood the need for one. If I was running a business or was getting 100+ emails a day that I couldn't get to right away. Or intermittent times of internet access than maybe I would.

But for the majority of users I would think browser based email seems to fulfill their needs like mine fine.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

Yes, you can always use web-based e-mail, but if you have more than a couple of accounts and receive and send a fair amount of e-mail daily, Thunderbird does the job--at least I've never had any problems with it. I've tried Claws and Evolution yet liked neither. If Shotwell developed a great e-mail alternative to Thunderbird, would I try it? Not if I had to pay for it. :lol:
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

http://blog.yorba.org/jim/2013/05/geary ... wrong.html
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/04/gear ... f-way-mark
“$100,000 Was Too Much”.....
“The Proposition Wasn’t Unique”.....
“People Consider it an Elementary App”...
“They Chose The Wrong Platform”....
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

I'd no sooner finished reading that when you posted the link. Spookeeeeee.

I think this sums it up for me:
Linux ... doesn’t need ’yet another e-mail client’. Evolution, Sylpheed, Claws Mail, Thunderbird and the like already have many of the features Geary was seeking money to add.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Yeah, lengthy post!
Agree, not many killer features were planned. Yet they managed to get pledge for 50% of funds! Not bad, i would say.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

anandrkris wrote:Yet they managed to get pledge for 50% of funds!
"There's a sucker born every minute." TM - P. T. Barnum.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

catweazel wrote:"There's a sucker born every minute." TM - P. T. Barnum.
LOL!
graeme

Post by graeme »

I would have contributed if I had known about it (and I still may). Geary is exactly what I want from an email client, bar the lack of POP support.

1) Conversation view
2) Stores mail in a SQlite database: reliable and searchable (they use SQlite's full text search as well).

I do not want to use webmail and store everything in the cloud. I want to be able to work offile if necessary. I want solid and reliable. I want fast and lightweight.

No email client offers all the above. Geary should.

Return to “Open Chat”