AMD-4500M with HD 7640G

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kleeman7

AMD-4500M with HD 7640G

Post by kleeman7 »

This is my laptop, I only upgraded the ram to 8gb.
http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops ... 855D-S5114

With the default drivers, with Mint 14 i have slow graphics and performance.

Anyone figure out how to get this graphics card to work with proprietary drivers. When ever I install the proprietary drivers I get xserver fails to start, and i have to login without a gui and remove the fglrx driver, which then allows me to reboot back to my desktop which is KDE, I have tried install through addintional drivers, under software sources, and also from ATI website, neither seem to make a difference.

This is my first time I am planning to stick to Linux 100%, since windows 8 sucks. I have been playing with Linux, for a long while now, since about 2005 on and off again, now I am seriously looking to stay if I can fix the graphics issue, as everything else works 100% and amazingly.

Any help would be greatly appritiated, I am going to work so I wont be able to reply til tonight, also I am not sure which logs, and what to post, so whatevery you need let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: AMD-4500M with HD 7640G

Post by catweazel »

A less than 1 second search of google and two minutes of reading reveals that the performance of those dual video systems is poor, even in Windwoes. All you can do is try to compensate for that.

You could try disabling the CPU integrated video and the onboard video in turn, testing to see which of the two performs the best. Check the manual for your machine's BIOS settings. You could also try Mint MATE, which is better suited to low-end graphics.

The other thing you ought to do is, before installing proprietary drivers, purge the open source drivers and reboot:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon
sudo reboot now
Followed by:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install fglrx-amdcccle-updates
sudo reboot now
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
kleeman7

Post by kleeman7 »

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try this when i get off work.

I have done many searches and nothing really seemed to cover it. It actually ran great under windows, and I was able to play portal 2 and a few other games with decent settings, but i dont really care for windows 8, and dont really want to downgrade to windows 7. It seem to run fine in cinnamon with proprietary driver, but it caused a glitch when turning up brightness, and the overlay would pop up.

So do you think this is something that will get better in a little while?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

kleeman7 wrote:It seem to run fine in cinnamon
Yes, but Cinnamon is very graphics intensive itself; it's built on top of Gnome 3, which I assume is the cause of a lot of rotten video effects. I have a very high-end video card and an equally high end i7 processor and had to ditch Cinnamon because of terrible graphics performance. I went with KDE, but only because I managed to make it look like Cinnamon. Really, I think trying the MATE edition will enhance your video experience.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”