kmail2 keeps asking for password

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
astrohog99

kmail2 keeps asking for password

Post by astrohog99 »

Every time I boot up my computer, I get a message "please enter password for user (xxxx) on Imap server". Can someone point me in the right direction to stop this?

Thanks
DWG
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
igor83

Re: kmail2 keeps asking for password

Post by igor83 »

I was not able to stop that annoying behavior. My solution was to uninstall Kmail. I replaced it with Thunderbird, which works great and will not keep asking for password. In my experience, Kmail expects you to enter your password everytime you run the program. I guess it is some kind of security feature which might be useful if your laptop gets stolen. But I don't like it. I'd rather take my chances personally. If my laptop gets stolen, I will just have to change my passwords before the thief tries to pull something.
Cerule

Post by Cerule »

This can be done by using KWallet and setting it's password to none.
Steps to do it:

1. Launch KWallet Manager if it isn't running.
2. Right-click it's system tray icon and choose settings.
3. Check "Use KWallet" and in permissions uncheck "ask when program wants to open the wallet".
4. Left-click system tray icon and double-click wallet icon.
5. Choose File -> Change password
6. Leave password wields empty and click ok.

That's it! Now KMail shouldn't ask about password ever again.
Last edited by Cerule on Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

+1 Cerule for posting that.

Yes many give up on Kmail as it's a mess anyways fraught with issues.
Luckily I don't even need a full fledge email client.
Do You need it? Always wonder how many actually need a email program?

Since many of us just use web-based in the browser email like yahoo or gmail.
I don't see a need for any extra except a monitoring widget like gmail plasmoid for me.
It let's me know when I have email and then can go to my email in the web browser.
If I was getting 50-100+ emails a day. Then I might consider needing something like a full fledge email program.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

Orbmiser wrote:+1 Cerule for posting that.

Yes many give up on Kmail as it's a mess anyways fraught with issues.
Luckily I don't even need a full fledge email client.
Do You need it? Always wonder how many actually need a email program?

Since many of us just use web-based in the browser email like yahoo or gmail.
I don't see a need for any extra except a monitoring widget like gmail plasmoid for me.
It let's me know when I have email and then can go to my email in the web browser.
If I was getting 50-100+ emails a day. Then I might consider needing something like a full fledge email program.
Gmail lets you set up an email client like Thunderbird or Kmail for free. Yahoo charges a monthly fee for that. I prefer using an email client, in my case Thunderbird, because it is much faster than the web-based interface, being ad-free and not requiring the download of any web graphics. With Thunderbird, an icon resembling an envelope turns green on the desktop panel when I have mail, or black if there is no mail. I suppose that is what you achieve with a "monitoring widget like gmail plasmoid," but the email client's functionality is built into KDE. Also, I can use other email accounts such as my ISP. This is only for spam-free accounts that I have not disclosed to the outside world, only to close friends and family. For the motley-grotley, spam-ridden email addresses, I use a web-based interface, only checking in occasionally to see whether there is anything worth reading.

You are correct that there are other problems with Kmail besides just the password issue which someone has posted a solution for. I would like to note that back when I was using Kmail, I did set Kwallet's password to None, but Kmail continued asking me for the password every single time I loaded Kmail. I believe it was not storing the password properly, that there was a bug preventing it from doing so, but the bug was not being reported to me. I spent a good deal of time examining Kwallet and its options. After about the twentieth time entering my email password, I said Enough, and uninstalled Kmail, and installed Thunderbird, and have been with Thunderbird ever since. The first thing I do when I install a KDE system is remove Kmail and a couple of other programs. I also felt that Kmail was more difficult setting up my email accounts. Thunderbird did it all automatically, whereas Kmail, I believe, needed some help.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Glad Thunderbird is working out for you. And agree Kmail has some issues to iron out.

But out of the 20-30 people I know none require a separate email client.
And all so far find the web-based sufficient since most of us may deal with 1-50 emails a day.

Like you have two accounts. Yahoo since I needed a yahoo email to setup my Flickr account and use it for spam control.
When I sign-up for things or web-site requires an email they get my yahoo.

And also have a private gmail for friends,clients & Businesses I work with on a daily basis.
And generally in the 10-30 emails a day kind of thing. And yep use Gmail plasmoid that alerts me to incoming email.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

Orbmiser wrote:Glad Thunderbird is working out for you. And agree Kmail has some issues to iron out.

But out of the 20-30 people I know none require a separate email client.
And all so far find the web-based sufficient since most of us may deal with 1-50 emails a day.

Like you have two accounts. Yahoo since I needed a yahoo email to setup my Flickr account and use it for spam control.
When I sign-up for things or web-site requires an email they get my yahoo.

And also have a private gmail for friends,clients & Businesses I work with on a daily basis.
And generally in the 10-30 emails a day kind of thing. And yep use Gmail plasmoid that alerts me to incoming email.
Yep, Yahoo's my disposable email too. Gmail, since it is so convenient, is the serious one.

Email client may be old-fashioned like me. I do a lot of things old school. I don't know any of my friends that use one. But I maintain it's faster and still has a purpose in today's world. Bypassing the browser offers speed, security and flexibility. Thunderbird is really amazing in that you just enter your email address and password and it takes care of everything from that point on in setting up the account. It took them a couple years to get that working right, but now it works without fail.

Return to “Software & Applications”