Keyboard not working correctly for some reason.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shrektheprouddad

Keyboard not working correctly for some reason.

Post by shrektheprouddad »

Hi Mint Gurus,

I recently installed Linux Mint 14 in my Asus K46CA. It is great all in all except for some minor problems.

1. Using fn + f5 (decrease brightness) or fn + f6 (increase brightness) are not working.
2. System tray time is not updating.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: Keyboard not working correctly for some reason.

Post by bigj231 »

You might need to go into your keyboard settings and try resetting the brightness adjustment hotkeys.
You never mentioned what DE you're using, so I can't help you on the clock.
shrektheprouddad

bigj231 wrote:You might need to go into your keyboard settings and try resetting the brightness adjustment hotkeys.
You never mentioned what DE you're using, so I can't help you on the clock.
Thank you for your response.

I'm using Cinnamon as DE.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Not updating meaning stuck at a certain time, or not updating as in not connecting to a NTP server and synchronizing? You might want to check that your hardware clock is working properly. Do a quick google search on that. I believe the command is just hwclock.
shrektheprouddad

Yes it is stuck in the time when I booted it until I shutdown.

In the system tray the time is "9:04 PM" while using "sudo hwclock" is "Mon 01 Apr 2013 09:09:29 PM PHT -0.235099 seconds".

Any idea?
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

shrektheprouddad wrote: 1. Using fn + f5 (decrease brightness) or fn + f6 (increase brightness) are not working.
In a terminal try typing

Code: Select all

xmodmap -pk | grep XF86Mon
That should tell you what key codes are expected to control the brightness.
Then try

Code: Select all

xev
and type the keys for brightness. That will give you the keycode it poduces. They should match!

Russell.
Laptop: HP17bs086nf, Intel Core i5-7200U, Intel HD Graphics 620 . Mint Cinnamon 21.1
Desktop: ASUS Prime B760-plus D4 motherboard, AMD Radeon RX6500XT, Intel 12th gen i7 12 core 3500MHz, 8GB ram, 500GB Samsung SSD, Mint Cinnamon 21.1

Return to “Beginner Questions”