No Dual Boot?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
elchucko

No Dual Boot?

Post by elchucko »

I'm using W7 and have installed Linux Mint 13 (Cinnamon). When I boot the PC it boots to W7 there is no option to select LM 13. Can you assist? Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: No Dual Boot?

Post by Fornhamfred »

Hi

Please open a terminal and paste in the following and list out the output for us.

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
elchucko

Post by elchucko »

Hi, Since I can't boot LM7 how do I open a Terminal? Thank you
turboscrew
Level 4
Level 4

Post by turboscrew »

Live.CD?

Basically, I'd advice you to install Grub onto the root partition, and use EasyBCD (community edition) to add Linux to the Windows
boot menu. If you get disk problems, Windows-tools typically expect to finf Windows boot on MBR. By using
Windows boot loader as the primary boot, both Linux and Windows tool are usable.
elchucko

Post by elchucko »

OK when I use EasyBCD it only showed W7 as a boot-able OS.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

use a live cd and gparted to check what partitions have been created.
arealvel

Post by arealvel »

See if your Windows installation has an EFI partition (you can see it with the Management Disk in Windows or also from a terminal in Windows with admin permisions using the command Diskpart).

If this is the case you have to reinstall Mint in EFI mode.
turboscrew
Level 4
Level 4

Post by turboscrew »

If Windows 7 boot is found, I would guess it's not EFI.
Now do you have Linux boot loader installed? If then where? EFI or conventional?
If you install grub onto the MBR, possible Windows boot fixes probably overwrite it. It's a good idea to install it in the beginning of Linux root partition.
Then you should be able to add (or rather chain) the Grub2 to Windows boot with EasyBCD.

Return to “Beginner Questions”