Will Mint Install over another Ubuntu version

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hwalker1

Will Mint Install over another Ubuntu version

Post by Hwalker1 »

I had a version of Ubuntu installed and working on my laptop which is a windows XP machine, and it dual booted to Ubuntu.
All worked fine complete with Intenet access. I then got an automatic update to a version of Ubuntu (think it was 12) that had what looked like a yellow chamelion on the front page. I never got the Internet working on that version, so I quickly lost interest in Ubuntu. That was about 200 days ago. Then a friend said that Mint works well, so I registered and came on here to find out. The manual does not say a lot, only to tell you how to do the download and install, but it leaves a lot unanswered questions that are not covered by posts here or FAQ files on the Mint website.
So -
1. Do I have to delete the old version of Ubuntu before installing Mint?
2. Does the new installation remove the old version of Ubuntu?
3. If not, how do I uninstall it?
4. Will it automatically install as a dual boot over windows XP
5. I don't have any data that I am value on the Ubuntu partition, so is it possible to install Mint without doing a backup first?
Just a few of the unanswered questions that I have not found on this forum.
Help please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: Will Mint Install over another Ubuntu version

Post by DataMan »

1. Do I have to delete the old version of Ubuntu before installing Mint?
No, you could install Mint in the partition that is currently occupied by Ubuntu.
2. Does the new installation remove the old version of Ubuntu?
Yes (see above answer).
3. If not, how do I uninstall it?
See 1st response :)
4. Will it automatically install as a dual boot over windows XP
Yes, if you identify to have GRUB install to sda (assumes your installation is occuring on your 1st hard drive). This is the default condition for the install.
5. I don't have any data that I am value on the Ubuntu partition, so is it possible to install Mint without doing a backup first?
See 1st response :) :)

Hint : During the installation process, when you come to the dialog on how to install Mint (Full Hard Drive, Next to Windows or Other), select the "other option". This will allow you to specifiy the exact partition to install Mint to. In your case, you want to identify the existing Ubuntu partition. Select that partition and click the "Edit" button (I think it's called that). Identify the mount point as "/" identify the filesytem as ext4 and check the "format" checkbox (the installer gets happy when it can re-format the "/" partition). Save your changes and verify before proceeding. Also note, that you will not have to do a new swap partition. Mint will re-use your existing Ubuntu partition.

Hope this helps.

-DataMan
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

following on from dataman's very good post, see http://youtu.be/kBrRL6iG0NM
turboscrew
Level 4
Level 4

Post by turboscrew »

I remember that replacing dual booted linux is not that simple. Linux typically doesn't suggest overwriting another linux distro,
If that's the situation, I suggest reformatting the partition with Mint LiveCD.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

turboscrew wrote:I remember that replacing dual booted linux is not that simple. Linux typically doesn't suggest overwriting another linux distro,
Its quite simple to do and works effortlessly, just do a manual install and recycle the partitions.
Grub will be rewritten see question 4 above.
Hwalker1

Post by Hwalker1 »

usbtux wrote:
turboscrew wrote:I remember that replacing dual booted linux is not that simple. Linux typically doesn't suggest overwriting another linux distro,
Does not Mint LiveCD require a linux OS?
My linux OS has no internet access. Am I better using windows FDisk to delete the linux partition?
Also Mint needs a DVD drive (which my computer does not have - only a CD drive)
Should I forget the idea and bin it?
Hwalker1

Post by Hwalker1 »

The answer is no it does not have any options at all.

I downloaded the iso file and as my laptop had no dvd drive, I loaded it onto a memory stick. Plugged it in and clicked on Mint for Win. 4 minutes later it was installed. No questions asked as to where it could be installed - in fact no questions asked at all. So now I have a nice working mint and a Windows XP on a 29 gig partition,and its connected to the net straight away. I also have a none working linux 12 on a massive partition. doing nothing. I also have a double double boot, having first to drop down the screen to get to windows and then again to select mint. Once I get there its quite a nice interface and works quickly and well.

Questions:
1. How do I get rid of the dead linux 12.
2. How do I delete mint
3. How do I extend windows to take over the rest of the hard drive.
After that I can install Mint and decide what it can do.
turboscrew
Level 4
Level 4

Post by turboscrew »

I'm not sure, but is it possible you are running LiveCD from memory stick?

The LiveCD IS the OS. It just runs in the memory (using the optical disk or whatever) as the "Frozen" disk. Nothing is installed on the HD. Any settings you make will be lost when you shut down the system.
Hwalker1

Post by Hwalker1 »

turboscrew wrote:I'm not sure, but is it possible you are running LiveCD from memory stick?

The LiveCD IS the OS. It just runs in the memory (using the optical disk or whatever) as the "Frozen" disk. Nothing is installed on the HD. Any settings you make will be lost when you shut down the system.
I just dumped the extracted files from my other computer on to my memory stick and looked at it using windows explorer. Then I clicked on Mint4Win.exe and sat back. The system created a partition within my windows partition and installed Mint. Then i removed the memory stick and ran mint. I switched back on this morning with no memory stick and up came mint as a double boot option from the windows boot screen. I have no idea what LiveCD is yet, as I have not had time to investigate, but nothing on my system requires a CD as far as I am aware. I don't even have any cds, as I have not used this machine for at least a year, and ran out before then. It has a cd drive but no dvd drive.

So now I need to delete the existing partitions except for the windows one, and create a new partition using the space provided and hope that a re-install of Mint will work. The current one will not update because there is insufficient space in the partition, but all the rest of the system is there and working.
I am using Mint to write this post.

Howard Walker
Hwalker1

Post by Hwalker1 »

Correction - I made a silly mistake.
While Mint did install on my system from the memory stick and created a small (under 2 meg) partition on my drive, it was not the full install that I thought it was. After writing the last post above, I noticed a button that said Install Mint. I had previously thought that it was just a folder with the install package on it. When I opened it, the installation proper began.
It had a list of partitions that did not make much sense to me, so I made sure that i selected the none windows one.
It installed, but now I have the most complicated quadrupal boot system I have ever seen, with lots of options on both.
I could get used to it I suppose, but I will probably delete the lot and start over.
I still have version 12.4 in addition to mint, with three additional users that it picked from the existing three operating systems, so it could do with some additional information on the partitioning page for inexperienced users like me to follow.
But it works. Just two criticisms so far - the default colouring has white on pale green in places, making some of the text almost invisible if you are 30 over 40 like I am. I assume that can be changed. The sound system has not connected, but that will be down to my ancient laptop, and I am sure I have seen a fix for it somewhere on the forum.
Have fun
Howard Walker
turboscrew
Level 4
Level 4

Post by turboscrew »

I don't remember having problems with the colourings, and I'm fifty. :)
Hwalker1

Post by Hwalker1 »

turboscrew wrote:I don't remember having problems with the colourings, and I'm fifty. :)
I'm 70, and white on pale green does not work for me. I changed the theme, so its not a problem any more

Return to “Installation & Boot”