Which version of Wine?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rec9140

Re: Which version of Wine?

Post by rec9140 »

Stickman wrote:I can't get my router going as its drivers are on a disk and only compatible with windows. Because of this I need wine to run the disk, but I can't use apt-get to install wine due to lack of internet connection. I've looked on the Wine website and it doesn't say specifically which version i need for linux mint.
What router needs drivers? ? ? ?? ? ? ? ? ? :?: :!: :?: :? :?

Most routers can be configured via web browser and worst case a telnet session.

Point konqueror at:

http://192.168.0.1

or

http://192.168.1.1

http://(insert IP addrss)

That probably covers 99% of the SOHO router base.

The higher end commercial stuff like Cisco, which I doubt you have can be accessed via:

telnet 192.168.0.1
telnet 192.168.1.1
telnet (insert IP ADDRESS)

Drivers for a router? ? ? ? ? ? ??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

Stickman wrote:Oops - I'm an idiot - I meant WIRELESS CARD not router... I wrote that post under extreme fatigue (and a general dopiness...). Whoops :roll:

Sundayrefugee has suggested a version of wine, so should be sorted.
Ok, that makes a lot more sense...but.....

If you need to get drivers off a CD for the card, that still leaves me with a question....

The CD should be readable by linux to copy the files off, unless the only thing on there is a setup program :x with all the files compressed up. :evil: :evil:
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

Stickman wrote:Nah there are lots of files, but I don't know which I want or how to install them to Mint. And presumably, it can't install anything when working from a LiveCD because it can't modify the CDs data?

If you have two optical drives and can put the CD in a 2nd drive while the Live CD/DVD is in the first
OR

If you copy the contents of the CD onto a USB stick or SD card and then plug the USB stick or card in to the PC while the Live CD/DVD is running.

If you can read the CD, which from what your posting looks like theres probably something like:

d:\windows drivers\xp
d:\windows drivers\w98_me
d:\windows drivers\2k

Copy the files, from the xp directory to your home directory.

I am guessing your probably headed to use NDISWRAPPER, and some one proficient on that will need to step in, as I don't use it as my wireless is already supported.

Post a copy of the directory you've got and the card and some one can tell you what you need to copy over for NDISWRAPPER.
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

Stickman wrote:I do have 2 optical drives, this is what I've been doing 8)
Makes life easier.
Stickman wrote: But I think herein lies the problem: the home directory is the cd, which I can't write to. And if I could, I wouldn't know where to paste the files to.
The unionfs will allow you write to the RAM disk that provides your home directory for now, it just disappears when you close out of the live enviro.
Stickman wrote: Well I don't know if my wireless is supported. It's being recognized by Mint as being there, and its seeing networks etc - it just can't connect to my router. Maybe the router is at fault. It says its only compatible with WIndows "and other OS's running a TCP/IP network". Huh???
Ok. Lets attack this from the start:

1) What router do you have make and model, please. Example Netgear WGR615V
2) What wireless card do you have, make and model, please. Example Intel 3945abg
3) Is this in a laptop? Desktop? Make and Model if prebuilt. Example Laptop, Dell Inspiron 9400

That line "and other OS's running a TCP/IP network" should cover Linux.

With the answers to the above questions we can point you to the correct drivers be it native or NDISWRAPPER.
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

Stickman wrote: 1) Router is Netgear DG834G
2) Wireless card is Netgear WG311 v2. It says 54 mbps, 802.11g on the box if that's helpful.
3) The computer is a desktop homebuild (I knocked it together out of assorted bits). AMD Athlon XP2600+ (1.92ghz), 1.25 GB RAM, Radeon 9200 128MB graphics.
This is what we need.

Stickman wrote: What is Unionfs?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UnionFS
Stickman wrote: I've tried the command line configuration suggested in the mintwifi wiki, but that didn't work, returning the error "No DHCPOFFERS received. No working leases in persistent database - sleeping."
The wireless card did not get a DHCP response in the time allowed and thus timed out.

DHCP is the protocol that automatically assigns things like IP address, DNS servers, gateways etc...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Ho ... n_Protocol

Stickman wrote: I wonder if this is something to do with the router itself. The router's firewall is set to block all inbound services: does the DHC protocol run with the above process count as an inbound service?
DHCP is not an inbound protocol for your router its used for alot things, but for right now its not an inbound protocol. DHCP is and can be used to assign a cable modem various things just like a on your LAN.
Stickman wrote: Or, is there any possibility its to do with the routers DCHP which can be PPPoE or PPPoA?
Is the router working for your internet connection? Can other computers access internet based actions such as web sites, email, ftp, telnet at remote sites?

Double check that your routers DHCP server is activated... sounds like it may not be on and thus when the wireless card is attempting to get a DHCP response its not getting one.

Double check that and then try to get back on line with the wireless under LM and report back.

Does the KNetworkManager show other wireless networks including yours in the list of available ones?
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

Stickman wrote:1) The router is working for the internet with other computers, all of which can access the internet without a proble.... wireless as XP but not as LM.
Good.
Stickman wrote: 2) I just checked the DHCP and it is activated. It was under the LAP IP Setup menu - is this the right thing?
If its under LAN Setup, and it says DHCP Server and its ON, thats it.
Stickman wrote: 3) Knetwork manager does indeed show my network as well as others from the street.
Are you using WPA or WEP on the router? ? ? If so did you configure that on the card

Do you have another wireless router especially another brand you could swap out to test?

Alternatively...

** PROCEED CAREFULLY ***

As a TEST and ONLY A TEST.... Are there any unsecure networks on that list? We need unsecure networks to keep things simple and not worry about WEP/WPA issues.

If so try to connect and then see if you can browse to news.google.com

THEN DISCONNECT IMMEDIATELY! !

If at possible maybe one of your neighbors will give permission to test with their router if its unsecure. If not try the above and only the above quickly as a test. DO NOT USE IT FOR ANYTHING ELSE. Its not ethcial, moral, and potentially could be criminal in some US states. HEED THIS WARNING. A quick test is one thing, permanent/constant use is another.

If that works its the router thats the issue.

If it doesn't work we need to be able to troubleshoot the card

Return to “Software & Applications”