[SOLVED] Flash player not working in Linux Mint 12 LXDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mauromol
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Flash player not working in Linux Mint 12 LXDE

Post by mauromol »

Hello,
I recently installed Linux Mint 12 LXDE on a very old computer. All is working fine (except I had to face the problem to set the nomodeset boot parameter in order to make the system boot, since I'm using an old Riva TNT graphics card, see http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=91276), but I can't make the Flash plugin work in either Firefox or Opera.

By typing "about:plugins" in both browsers, the Flash plugin seems to be there: however, whenever I visit a website using Flash, I simply see nothing where the Flash contents should be shown. One example is Youtube, but I tried a lot of other sites too.

I also tried to remove all the Flash related packages with Software manager, that is:
- adobe-flashplugin
- mint-flashplugin-11
- adobe-flash-properties-gtk
and then installed just "flashplugin-installer", but nothing changed.

I searched on Google but I couldn't find any solution. I found just one with a similar problem on Arch Linux, solved by installing the "curl" package: I tried to do the same but with no luck.

Can anyone help me to diagnose the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Mauro.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mauromol
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Flash player not working in Linux Mint 12 LXDE

Post by mauromol »

Well, it seems I have solved, but I don't know why...

I just uninstalled the flashplugin-installer package and installed mint-flashplugin-10.3 using the Software Manager. Then, the Flash plugin worked both in Firefox and Opera!

So I then tried to uninstall mint-flashplugin-10.3 and install just mint-flashplugin-11 and it kept on working (but, of course, I am running now the plugin version 11).

So, it seems like the solution for me is to keep just mint-flashplugin-11 package alone, without adobe-flashplugin and adobe-flash-properties-gtk that came installed by default on my system.

If anyone has some hints on why I see this behaviour, I would appreciate it.

Mauro.
hopelessrobo

Re: [SOLVED] Flash player not working in Linux Mint 12 LXDE

Post by hopelessrobo »

I had similar issues after installing and configuring Flash-Aid for Firefox. I just made sure "adobe-flashplugin" and "adobe-flash-properties-gtk" weren't installed via software manager and then reinstalled mint-flashplugin-10.3 and then up to mint-flashplugin-11. Works fine now. Of course, I have no idea why it behaves this way, but thanks for a solution Mauro.
Garryck

Post by Garryck »

Thanks! This solved my problems too..
mauromol
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mauromol »

Glad to know I've been of help to someone! :-)
2CV67

Post by 2CV67 »

Is your flashplayer still working OK?

I ask because I had similar problems in Lubuntu using an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ CPU which is not SSE2-compatible.

I had to fall back on Shockwave Flash version 11.1.101 which does work, but is now highlighted as "Vulnerable" and is automatically disabled, so I have to enable it again for every site.

I would like to find a flashplayer which works on non-SSE2 CPU's & is not "vulnerable".

Thanks for more details of your current situation!
mauromol
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mauromol »

Unfortunately I don't have that old system any more to test, I used it as a temporary PC for my wife last year.
sanjose

Post by sanjose »

First of all. Thank you for this information.

I had same probrem "Flash player did not work in Linux Mint 12". And tryed many diferent ways.
Until I found this topic no solucion.

One thing I have diferent from article is, NOT uninstall mint-flashplugin 10.3. If I do uninstall mint-flashplugin 10.3, and install mint-flashplugin 11, I get same problem.

So in my case,
First, UNINSTALL ALL FLASHPLUNIN and any thing I can find "flashplugin"
Then, INSTALL mint-flashplugin 10.3
Then, INSTALL mint-flashplugin 11

I do not know why,, but it working so far.

Return to “Software & Applications”