Broadcomm Driver update failed [Solved]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spandey

Broadcomm Driver update failed [Solved]

Post by spandey »

I installed Mint 13 mate in my laptop. Additional drivers install failed. I looked at the /var/log/jockey.log and there are tons of erros:

Code: Select all

2013-03-30 16:03:18,688 ERROR: Binary package bcmwl-kernel-source has no trusted origin, rejecting
2013-03-30 16:03:18,914 WARNING: modinfo for module wl failed: ERROR: modinfo: could not find module wl

2013-03-30 16:03:18,915 WARNING: /sys/module/wl/drivers does not exist, cannot rebind wl driver
Further up in the log there is message

2013-03-30 20:07:16,722 ERROR: Package fetching failed: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/restricted/b/bcmwl/bcmwl-kernel-source_5.100.82.38+bdcom-0ubuntu6.1_amd64.deb
Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PussyCat

Re: Broadcomm Driver update failed

Post by PussyCat »

I've just done this successfully for netbook which uses Broadcom BCM4312.

This may seem an obvious question but did you have a wired connection to enable the download?
spandey

Post by spandey »

I was trying to update using Wired Ethernet only. That's when it failed with error. Wireless was not detected from start?
PussyCat

Post by PussyCat »

Some of these wireless issues seem to have a life of their own with solutions varying for the same chip sets (I'm currently wrestling with Realtel RTL8185).

Anyway, if you search this site for Broadcom you may find one that works for you. Heres one...

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... om#p703170
loubapache

Post by loubapache »

I had the same error when installing LM13 XFCE onto a laptop with the BCM4313 card. It turned out I did not have to install any driver. All I had to do is to blacklist b43 (it is in the LM13 release notes). After that, the system picked the "brcmsmac" driver and it is fine for my BCM4313.
spandey

Post by spandey »

The problem was during installation ethernet was disconnected. Hence Mint was looking for old version of Broadcom package in Ubuntu repos and was failing. After updation of MINT, new version of Broadcom driver was compatibile hence got installed without error. Lesson if Enternet was not connected during install, update the Mint first then look for properitory software.
ChromeScooter

Re: Broadcomm Driver update failed [Solved]

Post by ChromeScooter »

For the benefit of anyone else who sees this error message:

ERROR: Package fetching failed: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/r ... _amd64.deb

I got this earlier today while trying to install this driver. I had a wired connection at the time so i manually surfed to the web link in Firefox. The website did not contain the listed *.deb file. I didn't understand why Mint would be looking for a file that didn't exist. Then I realized that I did not run the Update Manager after I installed Mint. when i did that, this error went away.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Broadcomm Driver update failed [Solved]

Post by AlbertP »

@ spandey: Which Broadcom chip do you have? Please run this in terminal and post the output:

inxi -N
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Networking”