what about Bitwig studio in LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jamsterthecool

what about Bitwig studio in LMDE

Post by jamsterthecool »

http://bitwig.com/bitwig-studio

Hi,

As many electronic/computer orientated music producers have reiterated, 'The only reason I still use windows is because of the music software'.

Bitwig studio many be a big step forward in allowing, wannabe 100% linux users, the opportunity to make that step . But on the Bitwig website it says it will be available for Ubuntu .No mention of any other linux distro's .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Re: what about Bitwig studio in LMDE

Post by M_aD »

If they state it's currently for Ubuntu only i don't think it will be available for Debian (LMDE) or other distro's soon. Also the lack of lv2 and Ladspa plugin support disappoints me.

Ardour 2 works fine imho together with the other free stuff that's available, Zynaddsubfx, Hydrogen etc. etc. and there are also LMMS, Qtractor, Rosegarden, Musescore. I have seen vid's and heard some music on Youtube that was created on linux only with the software mentioned before and it sounded pro to me. Even Dick MacInnis recorded a whole album with Ardour plus other open source software on his Dream Studio distro and he is in fact a artist.
Not to forget the creator of AVLinux who uses his distro and open source software that's currently available for his studio and recordings.

So i still don't get why other peeps hold off and still use Windows while there is enough software available on linux.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

I currently use LMMS only but bitwig looks like it could fit me. Especially the Native Modular System that's coming in later versions. If it's a fraction of what synthmaker is I'm not going to get any sleep after it's release... :shock:
Mr. B wrote:So i still don't get why other peeps hold off and still use Windows while there is enough software available on linux.
The abundancy of plugins, simpler interface and less bugs? (Logic Pro).
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

That's my initial reaction: Apple claims to be the audio/video platform..
https://www.apple.com/logicpro/
  • That was never really true, nor was it the fastest processor or graphics
    --another claim they often made..
I looked at the link (bitwig..), the interface style seems fine, now lets see if the product works as well.

I think the reason other people don't just use Linux and the OSS applications is that they are tied to a platform
  • Except the mobile apps store
    --they say its all about the apps!
Probably that is advertising hyperbole only..
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

jamsterthecool wrote:... But on the Bitwig website it says it will be available for Ubuntu .No mention of any other linux distro's .
And yes. I've looked around but it seem to be officially supported in Ubuntu only. There will be workarounds for sure but that's not as fun I suppose.
DrHu wrote:... the interface style seems fine, now lets see if the product works as well.
As taken from here bitwig is made by people who has worked on ableton.
jamsterthecool

Post by jamsterthecool »

Mr. B wrote: Ardour 2 works fine imho together with the other free stuff that's available, Zynaddsubfx, Hydrogen etc. etc. and there are also LMMS, Qtractor, Rosegarden, Musescore. I have seen vid's and heard some music on Youtube that was created on linux only with the software mentioned before and it sounded pro to me. Even Dick MacInnis recorded a whole album with Ardour plus other open source software on his Dream Studio distro and he is in fact a artist.
Not to forget the creator of AVLinux who uses his distro and open source software that's currently available for his studio and recordings.

So i still don't get why other peeps hold off and still use Windows while there is enough software available on linux.
Exactly, why would people hold off if there were as good,mostly free alternatives in linux ?. I've recently downloaded Ardour 2. I gladly paid a little to promote it's advancement . And Ardour is a solid D.A.W, for a certain type of studio setup, or In in words taken from Ardours front page -
Being the best tool to record talented performers on actual instruments has always been a top priority for Ardour. Rather than being focused on electronic and pop music idioms,

But for those of us whom do focus on electronic music idioms, there is no linux open source D.A.W.S that come close to the windows D.A.W.S (Though LMMS is a hopeful future candidate ) .

EDIT: Having said that I have delved deeper into Ardour and I like this DAW.Now to see if I can setup a audio system using Adour as the main DAW and control hub .

Rosegarden, Musescore are old school and not well suited to Electronic music production .Qtractor is
Bugs - Plenty, after all this is still alpha software ;).
and again has not any of the features (including available plugins) many Electronic music producers need in order to make the type of music they want.
I do use hydrogen for it's simplicity in quickly getting a drum sequence together using a midi drum pad .Once I've got the basics done, Hydrogens simplicity then becomes a restrictive workflow .And doesn't come close to the tweakabilty of using the VSTi drum machine Battery, for a example.

Quote from the Bitwig website
a multi-platform music-creation system for production, performance and DJing, with a focus on flexible editing tools and a super-fast workflow..
:roll: Hope so ! I wonder if the linux unbuntu version will have VST support that's stable?though I could do without vst support provided it features some cutting edge synthesizers and effects, a high quality sampler system for percussion etc and all with full automation, and the price structure is set fair , Like Reapers ., it surely will be a success.
Last edited by jamsterthecool on Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
jamsterthecool

Post by jamsterthecool »

DrHu wrote:... the interface style seems fine, now lets see if the product works as well.
As taken from here bitwig is made by people who has worked on ableton.[/quote]

also written there
I myself would sacrifice 1/3 of the features of Ableton for total stability
Hasn't the writer tried out Reaper ?
witchbutter

Post by witchbutter »

I think it really remains to be seen how well Bitwig will work in linux, but I for one would love to see it at least change the game. It would be really sad if you could use it, but it had half the functionality.

To me Ableton is still the best DAW out there and the only thing really missing for it to work in linux is the completion of VST support. A lot of people will point out the very limited number of sound cards available but I doubt this will be an issue for most electronic musicians who just bounce out anyway. I hope the end result will be to pressure Ableton into porting.

"As many electronic/computer orientated music producers have reiterated, 'The only reason I still use windows is because of the music software'."
The only reason I use OSX is because of music software. Windows is only good for video games.
If anyone remembers how bad it was to try to work with pro audio gear on XP before Windows 7 came out, that was when I completely abandoned Windows.
If Ableton supported Ubuntu LTS versions like Bitwig aims, that would be the last straw and I would solely use linux. If Bitwig beats Ableton to the punch and is as good, see you later Ableton, but that can't happen without a couple years of change.

Return to “LMDE Archive”