New ISO install problems

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

New ISO install problems

Postby malligt on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:27 am

Or is it just me?

LMDE Cinnamon 32 bit. Dell 8400. Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz. 2MB RAM. Nvidia card. Intel on-board sound. Analog duplex external speakers.
MD5 sum verified.

After install from usb, I did the apt-update && apt dist-upgrade.

I installed the pae kernel.

And I found:

No sound.

So I began the lengthy process of reading lots of posts about sound probelms/no sound, etc. on the LMDE forum for well over 2 hour's time tonight. Don't get me wrong...it's time I feel was well spent in the debian learning curve, but I could not solve my problem...

Example:

pavucontrol? (from Gene C.post) didn't work for me.

and/or alsa mixer --- installed from synaptic.

Then

As suggested by zerozero (and others):

I did the sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base conf....
options snd-hda-intel model=
I tried generic....rebooted... didn't work
so then
I tried auto...rebooted...and it didn't work either.

No sound is simply a deal breaker for me. And I'm sincerely sad about saying this as I thought I could finally break away from the -buntu influenced distros to LMDE.

I had tried LMDE when it first was released (but back then it had sound as I remember)...and finally had to give it up. I stayed with it as long as I could only through the vast assistance and courtesies of the forum writers, some of whom are now moderators.

I thought the passage of time would have made LMDE better. And perhaps it has achieved that:

This latest UP6 release is very nice compared to the early one I recall using; very modern looking, fast...You can see the many hours of hard work that have been put in place since its initial launch....but the sound simply has got to work out of the box.

Perhaps the "sound" probelm should have been included in "known issues" within the release announcement? Or creating a sticky on 2013 LMDE sound problems perhaps?

Without sound, this distro is a "silent movie" in a world of "talkies".

My hope is that this post will be taken to heart to make LMDE even stronger, as I truly enjoy Linux Mint. So for me just now, its back to Mint 13 Maya LTS.

Regards to all!
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot