A Question of Changing Hardware - Plug & Play for linux?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Orbmiser

A Question of Changing Hardware - Plug & Play for linux?

Post by Orbmiser »

Question of Changing Hardware - Plug & Play for linux?

Had a wired usb mouse go bad so bought a logitech M510 wireless and worked great out of the box.
Recognized and no issues in Linux Great!

Now wondering about if a need arises and I switch out my Ati 4350 card using default open driver.
For a more capable nvidia card (example: GeForce GT610,620 or 640 )? What would be the results on booting up?

As am not sure exactly how does linux handle new hardware on bootup? Plug & Play like windows?
Automatically configure the right driver for new hardware?
Or I would end up with a broken non-desktop terminal prompt?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: A Question of Changing Hardware - Plug & Play for linux?

Post by catweazel »

Orbmiser wrote:Now wondering about if a need arises and I switch out my Ati 4350 card using default open driver. For a more capable nvidia card (example: GeForce GT610,620 or 640 )? What would be the results on booting up?
It should automatically fall back to vesa. I have personally tested this and it works. About ten minutes ago I installed a kernel that crapped my system :mrgreen:

I too needed a more powerful video card so I got one of these.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep Don't think that will fit in my case

Aerocool m40 cube by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Space & Power are limited think I have like a 450w PS in there the case cracks open like a book
So limited size for graphics card.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Orbmiser wrote:Image

So limited size for graphics card.
lol - my video card is bigger than your PC :)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have swapped hard drives from one machine to another with completely different hardware with good results using Linux. With Windows I always had to go into device manager and remove everything before even attempting to do this and the results were often a blue screen full of cryptic text. The hard drive in the computer I am using came out of one that failed, it booted right up. Linux does an awesome job in detecting hardware.

If I knew I was going to change graphics cards, I would just remove any proprietary drivers before installing another card. I like the case you chose by the way, very nice!
catweazel, your graphics card must be what makes my lights dim sometimes! :D
Had a wired usb mouse go bad so bought a logitech M510 wireless and worked great out of the box.
Recognized and no issues in Linux Great!
What is really amazing is how all of the buttons are configured in Linux without having to do anything, Windows doesn't do that. :D

Return to “Chat about Linux”