<solved> invisible icon in desktop folder

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TechnoJunky

<solved> invisible icon in desktop folder

Post by TechnoJunky »

I've had linux for a while now, and just switched from Fedora to Mint. I had the Netflix desktop app installed on Fedora and a link to it in my Desktop folder. After installing Mint, I had reinstalled the Netflix Desktop again (the incon showed up fine) but I had screwed something up with the OS bad and reinstalled Mint again. This time after reinstalling Netflix app, the icon won't show up. The name of the icon shows up, so I know it's there, but I can't get the big red N to show up. I've deleted it, gone to the K menu, told it to add to desktop (where it shows up fine) and then move to /home/myname/Desktop, and then no icon. I've manually created the link, told it where to get the icon file, and still no icon. Any idea why it won't show up in the Desktop folder, and how to get it to show up? All my other apps in the folder show up fine.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
num7

Re: invisible icon in desktop folder

Post by num7 »

Hi,
i have no idea why there is no icon, soory. But you can try to set up an netflix.destop file under /usr/share/applications/
:arrow: sudo nano /usr/share/applications/netflix.desktop
This is the conntent of the netfilix.desktop - file:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Netflix
Comment=A program to watch TV idk :)  dont watch TV
GenericName=TV 
Exec=/your/path/to/netflix
TryExec=netflix
Icon=netflix.png
Categories=AudioVideo;Player;
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Version=1.0
Also you should make a folder in your home directory called ".icons" and put your icon named "netflix.png" in there.

I hope this helps. :) lg num7
TechnoJunky

Re: invisible icon in desktop folder

Post by TechnoJunky »

Thanks num7 but when I went to /usr/share/applications, that file already existed. I went into my Desktop folder and edited the .desktop file and placed your suggested info there but both the icon and name wouldn't show up. I then copied the .desktop file from /usr/share/applications to the Desktop folder. THe icon showed up with a ! symbol, when I launched Netflix it came up with a message saying that it was going to launch it and I could see that the icon had disappeared again. THis time I tryed dragging and dropping the .desktop file from /usr/share/applications to the Desktop folder, the menu came up and asked what I wanted to do, I selected link and now it shows up, even after launching the app. I don't know why it works this way but when creating a .desktop file in the Desktop folder.

I'll mark this thread solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”