Mint 14 64 bit new install does not drop down cooling fan r

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
james2b
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 14 64 bit new install does not drop down cooling fan r

Post by james2b »

I have a Mint 14 64 bit new install which does not drop down the cooling fan rpm speed as it should when fully loaded into the desktop. Also it is all updated, and this is a store built 2009 Intel Core 2 duo with Asus P5QL Pro motherboard desktop system. There is no hardware driver tool like in Ubuntu to search for available drivers such as the motherboard chip set drivers. So is there some command to run in terminal, or a utility tool to install that will allow that fan speed to drop down to a lower and quieter speed ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
james2b
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 14 64 bit new install does not drop down cooling fa

Post by james2b »

Or will I find Linux motherboard drivers available at the ASUS website ? Also I can try to install the nvidia display driver and not use that built in nouvea driver. One thing to consider is that this store built desktop system has many fans in it, a large front intake, a medium rear exhaust, a CPU fan, a geforce 9600 GT video card fan, and one in the power supply too. My Ubuntu 10.04 and the 12.04 and all 3 Windows versions do drop down the overall fan sound after fully booted and loaded up.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Once you install the nvidia driver all will be well

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
james2b
Level 1
Level 1

Post by james2b »

Okay I did install that current nvidia display driver with the package manager, then ran this; nvidia-xconfig which the installed nvidia settings tool said to do, then after a re-start this issue is now fixed, as the fans noise now does drop down to quiet sound. Thanks for the help. Why would a graphics driver install control all the desktop computer fans, unless it was just only the video card cooling fan which was running at a high rpm ? :D
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

unless it was just only the video card cooling fan
Yes it was
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Return to “Hardware Support”