[Solved] update manager

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mattboy

[Solved] update manager

Post by mattboy »

Hello, I'm running Linux Mint 14 Cinammon. I have a couple of questions about the update manager.
1) How often should I recieve updates? It's been a few days and my system keeps saying I"m up to date.
2) When I try to manually update through the update manager, I get this:
The repository may no longer be available or could not be contacted because of network problems. If available an older version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise the repository will be ignored. Check your network connection and ensure the repository address in the preferences is correct.

and this:
Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/dockbar-main/p ... ce/Sources 404 Not Found
Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/dockbar-main/p ... 6/Packages 404 Not Found
Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Any solutions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: update manager

Post by bigj231 »

To fix those errors, remove those sources from you "software Sources" list. Search your menu for that.
Mint pushes updates as needed. It could be hourly, it could be weekly. I wouldn't be worried unless it's been months since you've seen an update. If you really want to be sure, open a terminal and run:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
That will update your package list and thin your system. Updating your system always poses a risk of breaking something. If you really want to live on the edge, and have the latest kernel, try dist-upgrade instead of upgrade. That will probably screw stuff up if you dual-boot.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: update manager

Post by catweazel »

bigj231 wrote:To fix those errors, remove those sources from you "software Sources" list.
<facepalm>
He's got an ubuntu PPA with Nadia named as the distribution. Have another go.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
mattboy

Re: [solved]update manager

Post by mattboy »

thank you very much. everything is now just fine

Return to “Beginner Questions”