Weird bug with the program windows

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leopardpc

Weird bug with the program windows

Post by leopardpc »

Hi guys I'm having this weird problem with the linuxmint-14-xfce 32bit distro that started after my sister used the pc. For some reason the close program and minimize window controls are missing from the top of all the program windows. My sis says she didn't do anything so I'm not sure how it could have happened. I've used a lot of different linux distro's and this is the first time i've seen something like this. Pics are below.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: Weird bug with the program windows

Post by Orbmiser »

1. In a terminal, enter

Code: Select all

xfwm4 --sm-client-disable
This should restore the desktop and the workspace switcher in the panel. If it doesn't...??

2. Open the run dialog with Alt+F2, and enter

Code: Select all

xfwm4 --replace
This should restart xfwm4 properly.
3. Make sure everything in your session is set up as you prefer, then log out with 'save session on exit'.
4. Log in again. Everything OK?
leopardpc

Post by leopardpc »

That last command worked thank you very much.
andreas

Post by andreas »

Orbmiser, THANK YOU!! I was having a similar problem (a bit worse, actually), and your well-written instructions saved the day.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Wasn't me It was My Guru "Google" He let's me ask questions and shares his knowledge. :shock:
andreas

Post by andreas »

Orbmiser wrote:Wasn't me It was My Guru "Google" He let's me ask questions and shares his knowledge. :shock:
Yeah, Google's great. I found your post using Google, which as you say had its origins in Google. The circle is now complete. :P
xfce13

Post by xfce13 »

Hi there - I had this problem too. The following link mentions the problem and provides a solution:

http://rodmc.com/?p=975

The writer suggest entering "xfwm4 &" into the terminal. It worked for me but not sure what the "&" adds. There's no need for a reboot.

The review is positive about Mint xfce too.

Best wishes. Ed

Return to “Xfce”