[SOLVED] External Drive, Cannot Empty Trash.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
strongclad

[SOLVED] External Drive, Cannot Empty Trash.

Post by strongclad »

I was doing some spring cleaning on my external hard drive and the usb cord was accidently unplugged before unmounting it. I was deleting files and emptying the trash just fine until it was unplugged. Now there are 17 files/folders in the Trash and I can't empty it. When the hard drive is disconnected from my laptop, the files disappear from the Trash as expected, and when I plug it back into the laptop they show up again. I just can't empty the trash any more, nor can I delete any other files from the drive.

I'm using Mint 13 (Cinnamon) on a Lenovo B560. The external drive is a Hitachi SimpleDrive III, 2 TB, with two partitions. Both partitions are HFS+ (my prior computer was a PowerBook G4).

Any ideas on how to fix would be appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT:

Connecting the external drive to my PowerBook G4 seems to have fixed everything. I booted the G4, connected the drive, and used Disk Utility to check it for Errors. None were found. I'm guessing that Mac OS X (10.4) has some sort of housekeeping routine that automatically repaired the drive when I plugged it in. I was able to reconnect the drive to my Lenovo and was able to delete my files.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: External Drive, Cannot Empty Trash.

Post by catweazel »

The drive may need to be fscked.

If you don't already have them installed, you will need hfsprogs.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install hfsprogs
apropos fsck
That last command will list all the man entries for fsck. Amongst them will be the command you need to fsck an HFS drive. Simply do a man <fsck type> to get the help text.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
strongclad

Re: External Drive, Cannot Empty Trash.

Post by strongclad »

Thanks for your reply.

I followed your directions and this is what I got:

Code: Select all

david@david-Lenovo-B560 ~ $ fsck.hfsplus /media/FREE\ SPACE
** /media/FREE SPACE (NO WRITE)
Device is not a block device
I can't seem to find a description of "block device" that would give me a sufficient understanding of what was going wrong. I understand (NO WRITE) just fine, and that would give me reason to believe that no changes could be made to the drive because "read only" privileges are available. Seems weird that this could happen since everything was working fine before, but then again I'm not too knowledgeable of Linux underpinnings yet.

I had write privilege problems when using this drive for the first time with Linux, and had hfsprogs installed to overcome this. A little reading led me to fix the problem by turning off Journaling from within Disk Utility and changing permissions on Mac OS X. All was well after that. Now...not so much.

Return to “Beginner Questions”