Improve grapgic display on netbooks?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cartoonkid12

Improve grapgic display on netbooks?

Post by cartoonkid12 »

I have a SAMSUNG N100 NETBOOK running on 1.33Ghz speed. I installed linux mint cinnamon 14 on it. I wanna know if there is any way of improving the graphic display on my netbook. I am not really sure if the video card driver i have is correctly installed or what. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Improve grapgic display on netbooks?

Post by caf4926 »

For sure you'd be better running the Mate version
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
ausmuso

Post by ausmuso »

cartoonkid12 wrote:I have a SAMSUNG N100 NETBOOK running on 1.33Ghz speed. I installed linux mint cinnamon 14 on it. I wanna know if there is any way of improving the graphic display on my netbook. I am not really sure if the video card driver i have is correctly installed or what. :)
What's the graphics chip on the SAMSUNG N 100 NETBOOK, cartoonkid12?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

ausmuso wrote:
cartoonkid12 wrote:I have a SAMSUNG N100 NETBOOK running on 1.33Ghz speed. I installed linux mint cinnamon 14 on it. I wanna know if there is any way of improving the graphic display on my netbook. I am not really sure if the video card driver i have is correctly installed or what. :)
What's the graphics chip on the SAMSUNG N 100 NETBOOK, cartoonkid12?

Intel GMA3150 Integrated
I think
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
cartoonkid12

Post by cartoonkid12 »

Intel GMA3150, yeas that's it.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

What exactly seems to be wrong?

Post result of

Code: Select all

inxi -F
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

caf4926 wrote:
cartoonkid12 wrote:I have a SAMSUNG N100 NETBOOK running on 1.33Ghz speed
I dare say that up there is what's wrong. Cinnamon will clag that poor little netbook.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

catweazel wrote:
caf4926 wrote:
cartoonkid12 wrote:I have a SAMSUNG N100 NETBOOK running on 1.33Ghz speed
I dare say that up there is what's wrong. Cinnamon will clag that poor little netbook.
I did suggest that when plugging Mate.
Which I use on my eeepc. It's a dream.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

caf4926 wrote:I did suggest that
Yes, but some people won't be told :shock:

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
cartoonkid12

Post by cartoonkid12 »

Meaning to say, linux mint cinnamon is not really for my netbook. How sad... I was kinda enjoying it. I even got excited in the coming cinnamon updates. I feel ruined... :oops:
cartoonkid12

Post by cartoonkid12 »

@caf4926

System: Host: neil-N100 Kernel: 3.5.0-23-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Machine: Mobo: SAMSUNG model: N100 Bios: Phoenix version: 02FE.M006.20110606.JIP date: 06/06/2011
CPU: Single core Intel Atom CPU N435 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3)
Clock Speeds: 1: 1333.00 MHz 2: 1000.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx Integrated Graphics Controller
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x600@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel IGD x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 9.0.2
Audio: Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.25
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver: r8169
IF: eth0 state: down mac: e8:11:32:77:af:3b
Card-2: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 100 driver: iwlwifi
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 78:92:9c:3a:f7:58
Drives: HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (13.1% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD3200BPVT size: 320.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 293G used: 40G (15%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 1.06GB used: 0.01GB (1%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 61.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 135 Uptime: 1:55 Memory: 345.1/992.8MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
d00med

Post by d00med »

I run Mint 14 Cinnamon on my netbook and it works just fine for me. And the lag everyone is alluding to isn't associated with your graphics problem; it's just a matter of personal preference.

Mine is an acer aspire one with the standard intel graphics. Not sure which card, but intel is well supported by Mint. Your resolution appears to be correct. What graphical glitch are you having?
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

/edit : I was wrong, GMA 3150 still is Intel graphics (just a very cut down version of it). The video known for the worst problems are GMA 500, GMA 600 etc. Still a GMA 3150 is worse than an older GMA 950 I think, there it's the hardware that is stupidly slow, not the driver.

Drivers for PowerVR graphics integrated into Intel Atom CPUs have a reputation for being very bad. I would not be surprised if it just worked really slow - any time there's something OpenGL going on, the drivers wastes a lot of CPU cycles.
Even worse or just as worse would be running with llvmpipe as the OpenGL driver : it's fine for what it does but given it's software rendering it will run very slow (and using up all the CPU)

doing a glxinfo | head will tell what OpenGL implementation is running :)

Also, d00med, if you have an older notebook that has old Intel graphics sitting on the chipset, outside the Atom CPU.. then you have a much better graphics driver, which alone may allow you to use Cinnamon or anything 3D for that matter.
cartoonkid12

Post by cartoonkid12 »

well, i just wanted the screen to be vibrant. cause this use to have windows xp and then went to windows 7 before, the graphic display especially on the desktop is fine. however cinnamon appears to be dimmer. if there is a way i can make it better, much help would definitely be appreciated.
d00med

Post by d00med »

cartoonkid12 wrote:well, i just wanted the screen to be vibrant. cause this use to have windows xp and then went to windows 7 before, the graphic display especially on the desktop is fine. however cinnamon appears to be dimmer. if there is a way i can make it better, much help would definitely be appreciated.
That should be the same across OSes. If you're unable to adjust your screen brightness, try this at the terminal

Code: Select all

sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=FF
Or try this thread.
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

Or try setting the gamma : xgamma -gamma 1.2 for instance (btw I tried this on a laptop with a very outdated ATI graphics, it did gamma correction on the laptop display but not on the external CRT where I wanted it most)

Gamma is great : it makes the picture brighter without disnaturing the colours too much (and black stays black, white stays white). At worst you can adjust gamma in a video player's options to get some "vibrant" playback of offline video files.

Return to “Beginner Questions”