seperate backgrounds for 2 monitors

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ljonesj
Level 1
Level 1

seperate backgrounds for 2 monitors

Post by ljonesj »

When I was running Linux mint 14 xfce i was able to have separate backgrounds for my dual monitor setup now i am running cinnamon Linux mint 14 and it will not let me do it is there away to do this with cinnamon. somehow i think i did this in the login window for some reason when i was using xfce Linux mint 14
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: seperate backgrounds for 2 monitors

Post by Orbmiser »

Only solution I found was 1 large to span both displays.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=121818
screenshot-screen.jpeg
Why I like KDE is built in ability to have separate wallpapers with simply right-click desktop.
ljonesj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ljonesj »

linux mint xfce also has this feature too is there away to install the linux mint 14 xfce edition with my cinnamon version and have it look the same as linux mint xfce so i can have the best of both versions i have a good desktop for this dell optiplex gx 620 pentium d 2.8ghx 820 3.5 gigs of ram with a nvidia geforce 210 with 1gb of video ram
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

"is there away to install the linux mint 14 xfce edition with my cinnamon version and have it look the same as linux mint xfce so i can have the best of both versions"
No cannot mix features of one DE with another in that fashion.
If you want Cinnamon then have deal with limitations of Cinnamon.
You cannot tack on features from Xfce desktop to it.

Don't know about that feature in the pipeline for Cinnamon 1.8 and Mint Cinnamon 15 released end of may.
Or may be even further down the line for that ability.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

ljonesj wrote:When I was running Linux mint 14 xfce i was able to have separate backgrounds for my dual monitor setup now i am running cinnamon Linux mint 14 and it will not let me do it is there away to do this with cinnamon. somehow i think i did this in the login window for some reason when i was using xfce Linux mint 14
I had the exact opposite issue in KDE. It wouldn't let me have any background except a separate one for each monitor. I ended up splitting my wide images down the middle using GIMP. There's no reason why you can't stitch two separate images together in GIMP if you want individual images on each screen.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

It wouldn't let me have any background except a separate one for each monitor.
Well you can have the same image on both monitors but you won't have that spanning of an image in KDE.
Presently using same wallpaper on both monitors.

Mar. 30th Linux Mint 14 KDE Dual Display by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Each monitor keeps it's own list of wallpapers. As found I had to import same image twice.
Once for Left monitor and Once for Right side.
restamp

Post by restamp »

A somewhat related question: Is there a way to have separate backgrounds for each workspace, and if so how?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Orbmiser wrote:
It wouldn't let me have any background except a separate one for each monitor.
Well you can have the same image on both monitors but you won't have that spanning of an image in KDE.
I know this.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

restamp wrote:A somewhat related question: Is there a way to have separate backgrounds for each workspace, and if so how?
Nobody will be able to answer that without knowing what release and flavour of Mint you're using.
restamp

Post by restamp »

catweazel wrote:
restamp wrote:A somewhat related question: Is there a way to have separate backgrounds for each workspace, and if so how?
Nobody will be able to answer that without knowing what release and flavour of Mint you're using.
Mint 13, Mint 14; Cinnamon; 64-bit (for now).
(Thanks)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

restamp wrote:
catweazel wrote:
Mint 13, Mint 14; Cinnamon; 64-bit (for now).
(Thanks)
In that case, I think the answer is a definite no. Only compiz would do this, and compiz is not compatible with Cinnamon. There are some old posts on the forum going back four or five years. It appears to have been achieved by a script, but the image change suffered lagging. The source for the script has since disappeared into the big bit-bucket in the sky. However there's nothing stopping you trying compiz with MATE.
restamp

Post by restamp »

Thanks, catweazel. It's not that big a deal, but if there were some easy way of doing this, I might take advantage of it.

Return to “Cinnamon”