If your scanner doesn't work

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: If your scanner doesn't work

Postby georgeg on Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:18 pm

Have you guys tried Vuescan? Yes, its commercial software but it works on a lot of different scanners in linux as well as windows. I've used it with my old HP 5370 and Mint 8 (yes, I'm not up to date!). Here is a list of compatible scanners: http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#supported

I'm not connected with Vuescan other than being a satisfied customer but their software has worked well for me.
georgeg
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby fernandoOliveira on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:26 pm

My All in One SX525WD, the scanner doesnt work, only the printer.
Sane, or the xsane doesnt find the scanner.
My all in one is atached to pc by usb.
Is there any way to resolve this issue?
fernandoOliveira
Level 1
Level 1

Postby fotonix on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:59 pm

I am also having problems. Canon 9000F, Mint 13 64bit Cinnamon. I see the device in the output of 'lsusb' (list USB), but simple scan and xsane both say no device found. I checked the version of sane and it is 1.0.14-9 which is (i) circa 2009, and (ii) marked as 'unstable'.

Sane 1.0.21 apparently brought in 'complete' support for the 9000F and a slew of other Canon scanners, back in 2010, This is 2013 and I am wondering why it is not is the available repositories - Ubuntu are sleeping? I managed to download a sane 1.0.23 stable, did the make thing, but still no joy. How would I go about ensuring that xsane is using the new version and not the old one?

I want to have this scanner going, otherwise its the dreaded dual-boot for Win7.
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
fotonix
Level 1
Level 1

Postby acidblue on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:18 pm

I have a HP Officejet pro 8600 all in one.
I can print but the scanner is not recognized in simple scan.
This worked fine in Linux Mint 13, but after clean install of Linux mInit 14 64 bit I cannot get the scanner recognized.

This is connected via wireless not usb or printer port.
I have tried sane-find-scanner, but it does not find the scanner.
Any suggetsions??
acidblue
Level 1
Level 1

Postby polymath257 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:34 pm

I have a HP Officejet 4500 connected to the network via a router running dd-wrt.

Under 32 bit PAE Mint 14, I was unable to get the scanner to work or to print pdf files (attempting the latter produced a stream of blank pages). Even the hp-check utility froze when attempting to detect scanners: it sat for several minutes with no results. Running simple-scan or xsane both produced freezes at the scanner detection phase. The hp-setup utility allowed the printer to work fine with text files, so it was not a connectivity issue per se.

I ended up downgrading to Mint 13 and now everything works with no hassles.
polymath257
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cato40 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:10 pm

To whom it may concern.
I have tried to configure my Brother DCP-115C's Scanner in Mint 14 Mate. I was able to use it in Mint 7 and 13,but M14 appears to not
want to play ball. Where the previous posts said Dev45 or 50 ,my setup appears to be 70 ;which I trioed ,but it cannot find the path.
thanking you ,
cato40 :(
cato40
Level 3
Level 3

Postby cato40 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:45 am

For the past couple of hours ,I have been trying to edit the libsane file in Pluma ,but it does not let me edit the relevant lines even using my password.
how can I circumvent this glitch to be able (hopefully) to scan with my Brother MFC.
Thanking you ,
cato40 :?
cato40
Level 3
Level 3

Postby OldgitTom on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:24 am

Businessmik,
Sorry, just caught up with your post, 6 months late. That is truly atrocious - no Linux driver for 2012 Canon kit?! I was nearly caught too - a snazzy bells 'n whistles keyboard which only worked for M/soft. Luckily, shop swapped it. I recently updated to Linux Mint 14 Nadia. Now my old Canonscan doesn't work, again. I've yet to try the sane/libsane treatment, but will let you know, if it's of any interest to a/one. Cetainly, booting in & out of two OSs to scan & print is a tedious bummer.
OldgitTom
Level 2
Level 2

Postby OldgitTom on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:48 am

Businessmik et al,
after d/loading 'sane' from Software Manager, my old Canonascan Lide20/30 works again with updated Linux 14 Nadia. Maybe it has to do with my old box being 32-bit? Since there is no longer much money in desktop hardware, software developers prolly concentrate wholly on new 64-bit products & forget about backward-compatibility - like for new Linux distros.

I've also tried the drivers from the Canon site. Even the 'newer' M/soft ones never worked for me.
OldgitTom
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Hardware Support