Installed but grub2 not working properly...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
avnkailash

Installed but grub2 not working properly...

Post by avnkailash »

I am new to linux..I have installed linux mint 14 but durng the installation process grub failed to install.I selected the option to manually install grub and folowed several form posts in the community...I updated the grub to grub2 and it got installed correctly.But when i try to start my system.....the error message is "No boot device found - insert a boot CD and press any key." .....RIght now i have only Mint 14 installed in my laptop and there is no other OS....I am unable to use my system.....please help me to solve this problem......I am using the live CD and posting this question..... :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
setcho

Re: Installed but grub2 not working properly...

Post by setcho »

If it is a new laptop and you are trying to dual boot with windows 8 you will need to find out about UEFI.

If not, whenever I have grub problems Boot-Repair usually sorts it out. Whilst running in live mode go here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair and follow the instructions for the 2nd option.
avnkailash

Post by avnkailash »

Tank you very much setcho....The grub is now perfectly working and the linux MINT 14(Nadia) is installed properly.....But now I got a new problem...When i try to boot the OS from my HDD a black screen is coming and nothing is happening ....I am not even getting the login screen ..... just a complete blank screen is coming.....how to solve this issue??? :?:
setcho

Post by setcho »

avnkailash wrote:The grub is now perfectly working and the linux MINT 14(Nadia) is installed properly.
Not sure I understand your problem if this statement is correct then mint should boot.

Lets try to clarify some things:
Is your laptop new?
What operating system was on your laptop before you tried to install Mint 14?
Are you trying to dual boot with windows or do you just want Mint 14 on the laptop?
During the Mint install did you choose custom partitioning or did you let Mint do it automatically?
Also from your mint live cd run gparted and make a note of all the partitions and the file types and post back the information. Or upload a screenshot of gparted if possible.
avnkailash

Post by avnkailash »

My laptop is over an year old now....I just installed Linux MINT 14 right now...Not using dual boot....Before Mint my laptop is having windows 7.....I have made my custom partitions....I have attached the screen shot of Gparted..please see and tell me if you need any other information?
setcho

Post by setcho »

Well apart from a rather large root partition I can't see much wrong with it, I usually choose a root partition of about 15-20 GB. As its a new install and you don't have any data on the drive why don't you just do a reinstall. However this time I would suggest that you let Mint do the partitioning i.e. choose the option to 'Erase the disk and reinstall Mint' (it's something like that) on the appropriate screen.

I know your running the live cd so I doubt there is a problem with your disc or iso but just in case there is a problem with your dvd/cd drive you can create a bootable usb drive to install. Try the Universal usb installer http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/ which is my favourite. Unetbootin and LiLi also work well.

If you don't want to do this perhaps someone with more knowledge can tell you what to do next.
avnkailash

Post by avnkailash »

Thanku setcho....I will be doing that right now... :)
avnkailash

Post by avnkailash »

it didnt work setcho... :(
avnkailash

Post by avnkailash »

its working......at last i got MINT working properly....
setcho

Post by setcho »

Well done, I'm glad you got it working. :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”