Installation Stops

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
driver818

Installation Stops

Post by driver818 »

I was using mint 12 when a flash upgrade was required which failed. Decided for Mint 14 (latest 32-bit as of 3.31.2013). Install stops soon after i start installation from desk top. The pointer shows the circling icon for working. Browser works but not much else.
I did check forums and installed in compatibility mode on the first screen from disk boot. Being windows spoiled i would prob need to be shown or told the fix.
Hardware (memory) test was good.

athlonxp 2600 barton
2 gb pc2700
k7vt4a pro
hitachi desk star 165 gb
nvidia 7300 pro
lg multidrive cd/dvd/cd burner
acer 19" monitor
no other peripherals than tracball and keyboard.

Any assistance would be appreciated, thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: Installation Stops

Post by bigj231 »

Did you try it multiple times? Did you use the "check media integrity" boot option? If it passes, then just keep trying.
Last time I installed Mint 14, it froze 3 times in a row between 22-63% The fourth time, it worked flawlessly. To put it in perspective, It took the Windows 7 install disk 7 times to load on the same machine with ~15 minute load times. I had to resort to making a bootable USB which still took 3 tries to install.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

bigj231 wrote:Did you try it multiple times? Did you use the "check media integrity" boot option? If it passes, then just keep trying.
Last time I installed Mint 14, it froze 3 times in a row between 22-63% The fourth time, it worked flawlessly. To put it in perspective, It took the Windows 7 install disk 7 times to load on the same machine with ~15 minute load times. I had to resort to making a bootable USB which still took 3 tries to install.
<faceplam>
It might be advisiable to find out exactly what this means first:
a flash upgrade was required which failed.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
driver818

Post by driver818 »

Youtube said i didn't have the correct flash plug in and offered a link to upgrade. i used the instructions for the ".tar" file and it was not successful.
i tried the forums removal of flash then tried again. no luck. i uninstalled again and used synaptic to install flash 11.2 with no luck. then i uninstalled via synaptic and tried mint software manager. no luck.

i have tried to install mint 12 that i was using and it stops at the same place, the actual installation of mint 14. runs from dvd, and copy's some files at the user/password part even waiting for the files to finish being copied before selecting continue. it does require a dvd for a 966mb iso, right?

have tried 4 times with m14 even leaving it to run over night because of 20 0/0 cpu usage. have tried a second good drive and checking cables.

the fact that installing mint over ubuntu 10 was a breeze on a cd has me really aback.

thank you for your responses.
driver818

Post by driver818 »

And yes i did a memory check and a media integrity check, and installed in compatibility mode.

thanks again.

Return to “LMDE Archive”