problems with VNC and VINO

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
reswob

problems with VNC and VINO

Post by reswob »

OK, I hope this has already been solved and I just haven't found the right search terms to locate the answer.

I have two Mint boxes. I found several posts discussing how to enable remote desktop so I can connect to one from the other.

On one machine, I ran 'vino-preferences', clicked 'Allow users to view your desktop' and 'Allow user to control your desktop' then unchecked confirm access and then checked require password (and gave it a password).

On the other machine I installed and then launced the Remote Desktop Viewer. I clicked on Connect, chose VNC as the protocol, gave it the IP of the other machine, clicked on the connect button and then.... I got the message below:

An error occurred
Connection to host 192.168.X.X was closed.

I googled the error and it said that the above message in conjuction with using VNC usually "" Your "Hosts" filter has been deleted, or mis-configured. The "Hosts" parameter tells VNC Server which IP addresses are allowed to connect to it, and by default it is configured to allow all IP addresses. If you've re-configured it, or deleted it, VNC Server will refuse all connections""

I tried several times, even from the host itself to connect to the local host. I install x11vnc to see if that would work, but I get the same error.

a search on my mint box does not show any vino specific hosts file. Should I edit the local hosts file? Is there a firewall setting I'm supposed to make?

What am I missing?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
reswob

Re: problems with VNC and VINO [SOLVED]

Post by reswob »

OK, what I was missing was dirt simple: vino wasn't started on the remote server.

sudo /usr/lib/vino/vino-server and voila! I can connect.

Return to “Networking”