Mint is not running fluently, jamming sometimes. Why?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ziemowitt

Mint is not running fluently, jamming sometimes. Why?

Post by ziemowitt »

I've run Mozilla before a moment and happened something unthinkable. My lovely OS started to jam, just like in Windows. I haven't run other applications at that moment!

What could be the reason? I don't think it's fault of my hardware, it has 1GB RAM, 1.6 CPU.

Could the reason be that I've set to less of SWAP (but there is 2GB!!) or that I've placed SWAP partition in wrong order (before/after system partition)?

What else can influence on proper OS running?

Kindly regards
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dutchmaster
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint is not running fluently, jamming sometimes. Why?

Post by Dutchmaster »

I'm anxious to hear this answer too. I find that mplayer & movie player jam also.

I have 2gb memory and a dual core amd cpu. Geforce go6100 video.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Swap has probably nothing to do with it, in fact if you have 1 GB of RAM you probably won't need more than 512 MB of swap.
However, this could be a Firefox bug, what version are you using .0.12?
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
ziemowitt

Post by ziemowitt »

No, my Friend, it's Darayna's Firefox, 2.0.0.6

Do you have some new conclusions?

Kindly Regards
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Firefox is up to 2.0.0.13; one of the problems 2.0.0.6 had was memory leak. MintUpdate prompted the upgrade for me. See also ManusB's post here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... ade#p64860
ziemowitt

Post by ziemowitt »

I cant get rid of my graph drivers because.... i can't even install them :) I have the most suckin' card ATI mobility Radeon xPress 200 :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”