Anyway to override default Mouse and let gsynaptic take over

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ElectricRider

Anyway to override default Mouse and let gsynaptic take over

Post by ElectricRider »

I want to disable my Synaptic Touchpad under mouse settings in Mint 14 Mate 32 bit ( using the default Mate DE). I want the device disabled forever, not just disabled on typing. Mates's default mouse/touchpad app doesn't have this ability ( only disable on typing) but gsynaptics does and I've installed it via the package manager. If I go to the Control Center and choose the mouse/touchpad app, gsynaptics doesn't open. If i go to Application Finder and choose the mouse/touchpad tool, both gsynaptics app and the default mouse/touchpad app opens. I can hit the button to disable the touchpad from gsynaptics, but it doesn't take. My guess is that the default mouse/touchpad app is overriding it somehow. I could be wrong about that and it could be another reason. Any way I can fix this issue.. by configuration settings or using another tool or approach?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thegreatgazoo

Re: Anyway to override default Mouse and let gsynaptic take

Post by thegreatgazoo »

Jupiter power manager has this option, also options top change screen settings.

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/07/jupiter- ... r.html?m=1

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
ElectricRider

Post by ElectricRider »

thegreatgazoo wrote:Jupiter power manager has this option, also options top change screen settings.

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/07/jupiter- ... r.html?m=1

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Thanks so much !!! I was beginning to think no one had an answer.
paulwakfer

Post by paulwakfer »

ElectricRider wrote:I want to disable my Synaptic Touchpad under mouse settings in Mint 14 Mate 32 bit ( using the default Mate DE). I want the device disabled forever, not just disabled on typing. Mates's default mouse/touchpad app doesn't have this ability ( only disable on typing) but gsynaptics does and I've installed it via the package manager. If I go to the Control Center and choose the mouse/touchpad app, gsynaptics doesn't open. If i go to Application Finder and choose the mouse/touchpad tool, both gsynaptics app and the default mouse/touchpad app opens. I can hit the button to disable the touchpad from gsynaptics, but it doesn't take. My guess is that the default mouse/touchpad app is overriding it somehow. I could be wrong about that and it could be another reason. Any way I can fix this issue.. by configuration settings or using another tool or approach?
uninstall gsynaptics because it is not needed.
In the menu search box enter "startup" and it will find "startup applications" - it is very frustrating that this important programs in hidden from the listed menu programs.
Add a new startup program - name it something like "Disable Touchpad" (this does not need to be exact) and enter the exact command "synclient TouchpadOff=1"
If you need to enable the touchpad at any time simply open a console window and enter "synclient TouchpadOff=0"

BTW, this comment interfaces with the touchpad/mouse program that comes installed with the system, but for some strange reason that program (accessed through System Tools->System Settings->Mouse and Touchpad, does not have an option to disable the touchpad on startup if there is a mouse plugged in.

Hope this helps. It completely solved my problem.

--Paul Wakfer

Return to “Software & Applications”