Wireless Issue

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jbones10

Wireless Issue

Post by Jbones10 »

Hello,

New to Linux in the last 24 hours. While using my desktop with windows 7, i bought a USB wifi adapter and installed the driver. It seemed that when i downloaded Linux Mint that i needed to re-install the driver? Is this correct? When i put the disc in it didnt seem as if anything was happening. When I simply tried t enter my wifi password, I was getting a connection error message.

I feel like this probably is a relativley easy question and I'm just missing something obvious, but wanted to double check before I messed anything up!

Thanks for your help! Can't wait to use linux even more :)

-mike
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: Wireless Issue

Post by bigj231 »

You can't just put in the CD and install the driver. Unless they have Linux drivers. Not all USB-WiFi adapters work in Linux.

You can use ndiswrapper to install the windows drivers on linux. Read the man pages or look for tutorials on that.

While your USB adapter is plugged in, what's the output of:

Code: Select all

lsusb
inxi -n
Jbones10

Post by Jbones10 »

bigj231 wrote:You can't just put in the CD and install the driver. Unless they have Linux drivers. Not all USB-WiFi adapters work in Linux.

You can use ndiswrapper to install the windows drivers on linux. Read the man pages or look for tutorials on that.

While your USB adapter is plugged in, what's the output of:

lsusb
inxi -n

Good point, will downloaded ndiswrapper, thank you!
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

NDISwrapper is installed by default in Mint, FYI. You should be good to go.
Jbones10

Post by Jbones10 »

bigj231 wrote:NDISwrapper is installed by default in Mint, FYI. You should be good to go.

Nice! will have to look for it in the menu later tonight :) Again, thanks for the help!
Jbones10

Post by Jbones10 »

So it seems when i click on windows driver install, i get stuck as to where to go from there. it seemed as if when i tried to load things they werent loading (in general) so i shut down that computer for now.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

I would recommend trying ndiswrapper from the terminal. It will be more difficult, but it should tell you what isn't working there.
Jbones10

Post by Jbones10 »

bigj231 wrote:I would recommend trying ndiswrapper from the terminal. It will be more difficult, but it should tell you what isn't working there.
Thanks, so i open terminal and just type in Ndiswrapper and hit enter?

I won't be able to check until about 10 hours from now, but just want to make sure.

Thanks !
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

That will give you the help for it. from there you should be able to figure out what to do. Reading the man page could be useful too.

man ndiswrapper

Return to “Beginner Questions”