Good Morning, Ladies and Gents

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HarmInTrying

Good Morning, Ladies and Gents

Post by HarmInTrying »

My name is Garret and I am new to this Linux business. Thus far, I am beyond impressed. I must admit, I was apprehensive to wipe my HDD and do a solo Linux install, but things have been great! I have not hit a situation yet where Linux was the limiting factor, just my understanding of how this OS functions. :P I am slowly starting to grasp what is going on when I install from a repository (First, Adding a PPA/repos. gives a source, apt-update grabs all available packages from all repos. I have added, and then apt-install to build it. the term "sudo" gives me administrative/systemic control... Please chime in if I have totally shit the bed here, please & thanks). I can also run that whole string of commands as one command, using "&&" to signify "do dis, and dis, and dis, and if one dis doesn't happen, just give up" which is handy.

I am running Mint 13 Maya in Cinnamon on a 4 year old Gateway m-7347-u, Intel Duel Core, Intel chipset, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD2.

Since most laptops have BIOS FSBUS settings (ie - for over clocking) locked out, I grabbed a program (indicator-cpufreq, maybe? I can't remember. Sorry, team) to underclock my CPU. I believe it modifies the multiplier on the FSBUS, as it gives me options for "2.12, 1.67, 1.33, and 1.0 GHz, as well "performance, on demand, power save and conservative".

As my computer was overheating, (the reason I looked into underclocking; has been working fine ever since, thanks for asking) I also installed a CPU temp monitoring program which allows me to type "sensors" into any terminal and it will return my current CPU temp in degree Celsius, and show the critical temp. Again, I can't remember what this program is call. If you know what I'm talking about, please chime in and let me know.

I have as well installed CDEmu, a virtual CD drive emulator. It allows for 2 slots, and has an applet which appears in the bottom right of Mint. Quick mounting and unmounting of .iso and other disc image-type files. This was very easy, once I had everything written in the terminal properly. :D

My other big "oh that's sweet" was when I managed to get a .exe of Rosetta Stone (Win, 32-bit) to launch and install via Winetricks. Runs flawlessly, save the voice recognition/speech component. This issue was not unique, nor caused by Linux. I obtained my Rosetta stone (and crack) from The Pirate Bay (just to clarify, the cracked .exe of Rosetta Stone, not free-base cocaine; that shit's really bad for a person) and the sound driver detection is wacky for built in soundcards. Their best solution was to purchase a USB sound card, after which a mic would be detected and they could participate in the speech component of RS.

Other wine tricks that have tickled my fancy - Installed Starcraft and expansion Broodwars from .iso, Installed Diablo 2 from install/play discs, found a version of VirtualDJ (Mixxx) for Linux, although I haven't had any luck with using Native Instruments "Mashine" in Mixxx. Is there a version of VDJ, or Traktor for Linux?

All in all, keep up the good work, team. If anyone has programs they want me to try to crash, let me know! I'll happily beta things for you.

EDIT: Ah, my apologies. "Unicorns" - read: fecal matter.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: Good Morning, Ladies and Gents

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day,

Welcome to the forum,

:mrgreen:
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day,

Welcome to the forum,

jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day,

Welcome to the forum,

Andersoun

Post by Andersoun »

Every morning u have two choices! Continue your sleep with Dreaming. Or Wake up and Chase your Dreams Choice is yours! Good Morning
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

Welcome to the Mint forums.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Good day to be alive sir! welcome to the green jungle :D
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Welcome aboard.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
AnonLonewulf

Post by AnonLonewulf »

As how they gave me a warm welcome. Welcome aboard also!
:D :D

Return to “Introduce Yourself”