Amarok 2.7 music player

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tlcmd

Amarok 2.7 music player

Post by tlcmd »

Assistance, please. i am trying to download Amarok music player. The latest version is 2.7, but the LMDE repository only lists 2.6 beta 1. How do I download the 2.7 version? And which distro's version should i download since LMDE isn't in the Amarok 2.7 distro download list? Or do I download and install the amarok 2.7.0.tar.bz2?? If the latter, I'm gonna need help with the terminal commands.

Thanks,
tlcmd (aka Sick)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
alexanderb0w

Re: Amarok 2.7 music player

Post by alexanderb0w »

from what i looked up, it seems to be in the experimental repos. Im not qualified to make a how-to since im using the Ubuntu Edition, but maybe these sources will provide a start:

http://community.kde.org/Amarok/Getting ... oad/Debian
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianExperimental

Found from this site: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us
tlcmd

Re: Amarok 2.7 music player

Post by tlcmd »

The Amorak folks say, "A New Year, a new Amarok! The Amarok Team is proud to present the new Amarok 2.7, codenamed "A Minor Tune". This was released on 18 Jan.
Here's my problem, since LMDE is not listed in the down page, which do I download??

Linux Distributions, BSD, other Unixes
Kubuntu logo.png Opensuse.png Fedora logo.png Debian icon.png Mageia icon.png
Gentoo icon.png Arch icon.png Pardus icon.png NetBSD icon.png Chakra1.png
FreeBSD icon.png Rosa-logo.png

Thanks,
tlcmd (aka Dick)
tlcmd

Morre Problems Amarok 2.7 music player

Post by tlcmd »

Assistance would be appreciated:

I am trying to install the Amarok Music Player 2.7 into my computer. I am running LMDE which is up to date. The latest Amarok in the current repository is 2.6 Beta 1. How can I get and install Amarok 2.7? I'm fairly LMDE illiterate, so I'd appreciate any advice. Neither Banshee, gmusicbrowser, Clementine, or several other Jukebox/Medic center programs meet my needs and it sounds like Amarok will.

Here's what I've received from the KDE.org website manager and the Amarok Forum::

1) First of all, why would you use a beta version? Amarok 2.6 beta was released in July 2012, and it is not a stable version. You should make sure not to use a beta release, those are meant for testing purposes only.

The current stable release is Amarok 2.7, btw., released in Jaunary 2013.

2) The problem is your choice of the Linux Mint version, they simply do not provide that package, as it depends on Debian Wheezy which was frozen for new packages in July 2012 and Amarok 2.7 was released in January 2013. AFAIK the Linux Mint KDE version can use the Kubuntu repositories (don't know for the Debian one, that is something to ask the distribution) so you could get Amarok 2.7 by activating the Kubuntu backports PPA.
If you want a rolling distribution (something you mentioned in your wiki request) Linux Mint is not the right choice, as it always depends on another distribution, either Kubuntu, Ubuntu or Debian, none of which are real rolling distributions.

Just for completeness sake: a rolling distribution doesn't have a fixed release date but provides new packages when they are available upstream (= the ones who make the software). That would be the case for distributions like Gentoo or Archlinux or Debian Sid (aka unstable), none of which are really suitable for newcomers.

Note: I am fairly comfortable with LMDE and would prefer continuing to use it, rather than switching to the other rolling distros listed above. I've tried them and even with forum help, found them very difficult to install and set up and they are not particularly friendly to former Windows users.

To further confuse matters, while the LMDE repository lists Amarok 2.6 beta 1 as the Amarok version, when I try to download it from the Amarok download site, the Debian download says:

The version in squeeze (currently stable) is and always will be 2.3.1.
The version in squeeze-backports is 2.4.1 at the moment.
The version in wheezy (currently testing) is v2.5.90-75-g47e75df (post 2.6-beta1 snapshot) at the moment.

I tried downloading the Amarok tarball bz2 and again got lost in the installation process.

So, as you can tell, I'm pretty much lost in installing and setting up a jukebox which meets my minimal requirements.

Help, please.
tlcmd (Dick)

Return to “LMDE Archive”