Newbie needs help loading video from Sony Handycam DCR-HC21

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
junglejamjohn

Newbie needs help loading video from Sony Handycam DCR-HC21

Post by junglejamjohn »

I was given a video camera that uses digital tape, a Sony Handycam DCR-HC21, and need to download videa from the camera to my PC. OS installed:
Kernel : Linux 3.5.0-25-generic (i686)
Compiled : #39-Ubuntu SMP Mon Feb 25 19:02:34 UTC 2013
C Library : Unknown
Default C Compiler : GNU C Compiler version 4.7.2 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.7.2-2ubuntu1)
Distribution : Linux Mint 14 Nadia

I have never used a video camera before and know nothing about formats or procedures, etc, to upload to a PC. This camera came with no drive disks, no manual. I have a usb cable for it, but my PC does not recognise any device when I plug the camera to it. Also, I am relatively computer ignorant and don't know if my old dell inspiron 1420 has all the hardware components needed to do this. I am also relatively new to linux so please explain accordinly. I will likely need help with set up after install, as well, as I have never uploaded video, etc. I am familiar with using the terminal on a very basic level, and I have used the software manager to install several apps from the repository.

I read a couple of posts and about old distros of mint that recommended acid and handbrake, but I found niether of those in the repository.

I also will try to teach myself video editing, so I will need an easy-to-learn editing program. I plan to shoot 20-40 hours of video over the next couple months and will need to edit all that down into about 100-200 videos of a couple minutes each to put on a website. Any help to get started is needed and appreciated.
Mucho thanks!
john
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
homerscousin

Re: Newbie needs help loading video from Sony Handycam DCR-H

Post by homerscousin »

Don't think I can help much. The cam is not recognised? Did you try typing lsusb in a terminal with the cam powered on and plugged in? Even if that gives you 'unknown device' it sees something. You may have to do some internet searching for that particular model and Linux hardware compatibility.
junglejamjohn

Post by junglejamjohn »

homerscousin,
Thanks for the reply! Okay, in the terminal I entered lsusb as you said and it does see the camera: i got this:

john@john-Inspiron-1420 ~ $ lsusb
Bus 003 Device 026: ID 0a5c:4500 Broadcom Corp. BCM2046B1 USB 2.0 Hub (part of BCM2046 Bluetooth)
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 054c:00c0 Sony Corp. Handycam DCR-30
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 027: ID 413c:8126 Dell Computer Corp. Wireless 355 Bluetooth
Bus 003 Device 028: ID 0a5c:4502 Broadcom Corp. Keyboard (Boot Interface Subclass)
Bus 003 Device 029: ID 0a5c:4503 Broadcom Corp. Mouse (Boot Interface Subclass)

I searched the internet and found a couple apps to instal but they I could not find them in the repository using Program Manager. Sony online support chat simply says that the camera is not compatible with linux.

Now what?
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

We may have hit the limits of my knowledge. I have a Logitech webcam and it works, but I saw it on a compatibility list before I plunked down a whopping $20. If you trust that Sony chat and they say it is not compatible, then you may be out of luck. It probably does not have a proper Linux driver. Maybe someone here has a similar cam that can somehow be made to work. That's beyond me.
rich2005

Post by rich2005 »

I hate sony with a vengence, AVCH is a pita
but for your old Handycam DCR-HC21 I do not think that USB will work with linux.

That old handycam as far as I can make out, saves in (some sort of) DVD format. It might not be full DVD, the manual does not say. From the manual, outputs to composite video or S-Video

see page from manual http://i.imgur.com/hVU17pO.jpg

So save to a DVD recorder on DVD disks (write once or re-recordable)

You will get the video in xxxx.vob files and copy to your computer
(see http://www.videohelp.com/dvd)

Use Avidemux or OpenShot for editing and DeVeDe or DVDstyler to author into your DVD masterpiece.

or

Splash out on a firewire card and go straight into your computer.
junglejamjohn

Post by junglejamjohn »

i figured it out with a firewire and dvgab. It uploaded to my pc in dv format. Thanks all.

Return to “Sound”