Firefox: importing profile

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nadia14

Firefox: importing profile

Post by nadia14 »

I'm switching from Ubuntu 10.04 to Mint 14 Mate.

In order to keep everything from my old install i have copied the old firefox profile to ~/.mozilla/firefox (in fact the profile is maybe even from ubuntu 8.04 or even older debian installations)

Everything works except i can't add any search engine for the top-right search box, i have only Yahoo, Duck Duck Go, Hoepli and Wikipedia it.
That is quite annoying (by the way, with the stock profile i am able to add whatever i want via the "add search engines"). Permissions and owner are ok.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Firefox: importing profile

Post by xenopeek »

Well, I'm not familiar with the "add search engines" you name--can't recall seeing that on Firefox, on no Linux distro and not on Windows either?

What you can do: click the down arror icon in the search bar, select "manage search engines", click "get more search engines" (which takes you to http://www.linuxmint.com/searchengines.php) and you can click on the various search engines listed here for your convenience. The details page for each search engine has instructions how to add it. Some of these are partners of Linux Mint and adding them this way might share any revenue the search engine makes with the Linux Mint project.

Or you can use Mozilla's Mycroft Project, at http://mycroftproject.com/, to add pretty much any search engine you want. They have thousands.

Or you can use an add-on like https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... earch-bar/, which will let you add any web page with a search field as a search engine.
nadia14

Post by nadia14 »

Well, I'm not familiar with the "add search engines" you name--can't recall seeing that on Firefox, on no Linux distro and not on Windows either?

What you can do: click the down arror icon in the search bar, select "manage search engines", click "get more search engines" (which takes you to http://www.linuxmint.com/searchengines.php) and you can click on the various search engines listed here for your convenience. The details page for each search engine has instructions how to add it. Some of these are partners of Linux Mint and adding them this way might share any revenue the search engine makes with the Linux Mint project.
Thank you for the fast and detailed reply. I know about revenues and partners.
The problem is that "manage search engines" is not working, i have translated from italian to english without the right words so my fault.

For example if i want to add youtube, i'm redirected to http://www.linuxmint.com/searchengines/ ... outube&c=y , i click on the drop down list of search engines and i don't have "Add Youtube" option (only the installed search engines plus on the bottom "manage search engines" in italian).

With Mycroft Project i am able to add search engines, so partially solved.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Okay, strange. Not sure what can be causing that. I can add Youtube just fine from there, get an "Add Yotube" link in the down arrow menu. Because you are copying your profile from an older release, on which perhaps you had a different Firefox version, there might be some conflicts in the Firefox settings.
nadia14

Post by nadia14 »

Maybe, but i was using Firefox 19 (packaged, i'm not 100% sure about the version but it had the pdf js viewer built in) even in Ubuntu 10.04 .

Thank you.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Ah, then I'm stuck. You could try creating a new profile and see if it works from there. If so, it is related to your copied profile.

Close all your Firefox windows, then Alt+F2 or from the terminal run:

Code: Select all

firefox -ProfileManager
You can create a new profile from there, without impacting your current one.
nadia14

Post by nadia14 »

Yes, with a new profile i can add search engines the default way.

I think maybe the problem is related to the customization of search engines in the firefox config.
As soon as i can i'll try to copy the same profile to a windows installation in order to see if it has the same problem.
nadia14

Post by nadia14 »

I have tried with windows with firefox 20 and the same profile and i don't have that problem, i can add search engines without problem. I really think it's due to firefox customization.

Return to “Software & Applications”