Dell 1397 WLAN Mini-card not working

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MirzaKhan

Dell 1397 WLAN Mini-card not working

Post by MirzaKhan »

Hey everyone

I installed Linux Mint on my computer yesterday, but I'm having a big problem-my WIFI won't work. I'm using a 64-bit Dell Inspirion with Linux Mint 14, and according to Windows Device Manager, my computer's NIC is a "Dell 1397 WLAN mini-card", manufactured by Broadcom. Some googling yesterday led me to this page(http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php), but I'm not sure if the driver on it will work with my card, and I have no idea how to install it in any case. Since I use wifi to get on the net 99% of the time, this is kind of crippling.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Dell 1397 WLAN Mini-card not working

Post by kc1di »

Hello MirzaKhan and welcome to Mint,

That's the same card I have in my machine.
it's also known as a Broadcom 4312. yes the sta driver is correct for this card and works fine.
you don't need to down load it and install manually if you can get a temporary hardwire lan connection simply go to Menu> Addition Drivers and install it from there.
good luck,
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
MirzaKhan

Post by MirzaKhan »

kc1di wrote:Hello MirzaKhan and welcome to Mint,

That's the same card I have in my machine.
it's also known as a Broadcom 4312. yes the sta driver is correct for this card and works fine.
you don't need to down load it and install manually if you can get a temporary hardwire lan connection simply go to Menu> Addition Drivers and install it from there.
good luck,
Didn't see an "add drivers" option on the menu, so I went to Package Manager, searched "Broadcom", and installed everything that came up. Seen as how I'm on wifi now, one of those must have been the driver!

Thanks for your help!
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

glad it's working for you. Yes I forgot think they did away with additional drives in mint 14.
Additional drivers
To install additional drivers, please run the "Software Sources" tool from "Menu->Preferences->Software Sources" and click on the "Additional Drivers" tab. The tool used in previous versions of Linux Mint (Jockey) was discontinued upstream in Ubuntu.
from the release notes :)

Enjoy :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
ShredFred

Post by ShredFred »

I have a Dell Inspiron Zino computer with this Dell 1397 wireless card built in-Basically a mini desktop computer with laptop parts.

I was able to enable the propietary driver and get wireless access. However, after rebooting(soft or hard), the card disappears or is not detected by the system. However, under Software Sources. the setting for enabling the card is still showing as visible and enabled. To get it working again, I need to disable it. reboot then renable which is not desireable.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Thanks in advance
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

ShredFred wrote:I have a Dell Inspiron Zino computer with this Dell 1397 wireless card built in-Basically a mini desktop computer with laptop parts.

I was able to enable the propietary driver and get wireless access. However, after rebooting(soft or hard), the card disappears or is not detected by the system. However, under Software Sources. the setting for enabling the card is still showing as visible and enabled. To get it working again, I need to disable it. reboot then renable which is not desireable.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Thanks in advance
how did you install the drivers?
you would get a faster response if you started a new thread.

depending upon how you installed the driver it may be that you need to add it to /etc/modules file so it will be loaded at boot.

you can edit the file by in a terminal typeing

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/modules
good luck
ShredFred

Post by ShredFred »

I wasn't aware I had to do anything other than enable under Software Sources. I will give what you suggested a try. Thanks again.

I responded to the existing thread because it had relevance to my situation. It's usually not good manners of some forums to create new threads but to search for answers in what's already been discussed. Besides, by responding to this thread I was hoping to also get the attention of anyone else who subscribed to this topic.

Sent from a Samsung Fascinate running CM 10.1
velimira

Post by velimira »

MirzaKhan wrote:Hey everyone

I installed Linux Mint on my computer yesterday, but I'm having a big problem-my WIFI won't work. I'm using a 64-bit Dell Inspirion with Linux Mint 14, and according to Windows Device Manager, my computer's NIC is a "Dell 1397 WLAN mini-card", manufactured by Broadcom. Some googling yesterday led me to this page(http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php), but I'm not sure if the driver on it will work with my card, and I have no idea how to install it in any case. Since I use wifi to get on the net 99% of the time, this is kind of crippling.

Thanks in advance for any help!
I have the same problem with the same WLAN Card on my Dell studio 1735.This is my firs installation of Linux software. I downloaded the drivers from the link, mentioned above, but I don't know how to install it!
I downloaded the file with drivers on a flash drive - > moved it to "File System ->etc->created my new folder and extracted the files in there". After that rebooted the computer but there is no wi fi again.
What can I do, how to connect to Internet?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If you have a problem with the Broadcom BCM4312,

Please don't try to install the Broadcom STA driver, and if you had installed the driver, please uninstall it. (STA claims to support the BCM4312 card but on many computers with that card, the driver fails to load)
Then run this to remove a file which is often left over from the STA driver:

Code: Select all

sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-bcm43.conf
Finally, use a wired internet connection to install the package "firmware-b43-lpphy-installer" from the Software Manager. Then reboot and your wireless should be working.

On a clean install of Mint, the ONLY thing you should do to your wireless, is installing firmware-b43-lpphy-installer.

These instructions can also be used for Broadcom BCM4311, but the necessary package is called "firmware-b43-installer" for this card. The package firmware-b43-lpphy-installer does not install correctly, if your card is not a 4312.
If you come here from Google, and have a different model of Broadcom card (not a 4311 or 4312 chip) then please look elsewhere or open a new topic for your questions.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
velimira

Post by velimira »

Thank you all for the collaboration and helpfull advices. I do connected to wired internet and downloaded the WI FI drivers succesfully.

Return to “Hardware Support”