Please Help

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Trivian

Please Help

Post by Trivian »

Okay so tried to avoid posting on the forum with the wealth of information available already however 4 days of trying to get KDE 14 to run on my pc is getting tiresome not to mention the headache and frustration. Im completely new to linux and I really wan't to run it alongside windows 7.

Have the iso downloaded. Md5 matches. System is more than capable of running the operating system as far as the requirements.

My Issue:
Mint attempts to load however when it reaches the splash screen it hangs and doesn't do anything aside from sitting at the splash sceen for mint and the little white dots below the KDE "from freedom came eligance " splash screen. I let it run overnight even to see if it possibly was just taking a bit to load nothing after 6+ hours. I am trying to run this off of usb as my last dvd refuses to let me burn the iso. I really don't wan't to wait another couple of weeks to get this up and running when I get paid and can buy more. That said any help would be appreciated. I have attempted to run it off of UNetbootin and the LiLi USB live creator both result in the same issue. Gets to the splash screen and hangs. Any help is appreciated and you have my thanks in advance.

* EDIT* Im trying to run the 64 bit version if that's relevant.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Please Help

Post by xenopeek »

Perhaps a problem with your graphics card drivers. See if this helps: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257
Trivian

Post by Trivian »

Thank you for the reply however Im running Intel(R) HD graphics card.
arealvel

Post by arealvel »

I think it'd be easier for the "gurus" if you give some more information about your computer, as it seems it's something related to hardware. Is it quite new, what model...
Trivian

Post by Trivian »

Its an HP pavilion g7 64 bit with an Intel(R) Pentium(R) P6300 dual core processor, 4 gigs of ram, with Intel HD graphics card. Its two years old max. I have no issues with anything in windows. Have recently ran sfc in windows no issues ran memory test no issues and have also did a clean windows install just prior to attempting to install linux. (4 days ago) as I had tried it before but sfc showed a few errors that I had to fix due to changing boot animations etc on the windows os (I'm assuming as I restored the laptop back to factory and rerean sfc and all issues were resolved). After doing so I was able to get the splash screen to come on it just hangs.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Trying compatibility mode as suggested in my link may help anyway, it's not limited to being a workaround for graphics cards.
Trivian

Post by Trivian »

Okay ran compatibility mode and went smooth until I got an error that said E: unable to locate package files perhaps invalid debian disk or wrong architecture which was then followed by a ton of SQUASHFS errors.
arealvel

Post by arealvel »

It seems that it is not the right package for your architecture, or that it isn't not properly burned. But the checksum was OK, right? So, I don't know what to say. I've suffered in the past this sort of problem sometimes with other linux distributions. For example, after updating, the system do not progress because something with the new kernel is not accepted. But booting from ancient kernel is still possible.

If you have time and energies perhaps you should try to install Mint 13....
Trivian

Post by Trivian »

Firstly I apologize for not responding soon I had a death in the family. Yes the md5 matches I had to download it several times to get the correct one. Ok now I know this isn't the smartest thing to do but I've installed it with mint4win and it runs fine Ive had a few issues with it but they seem to be common issues i.e. cursor jumps around a bit etc. While this was more less a lets try it and see if it works kinda thing I'm fine with running it this way to familiarize myself with the os system as I am a first time linux user. At least until I get paid and can buy another package of dvd's to burn the iso to. However now that I think about it after the install through windows I did have to do something (I'm not entirely sure as to how I did it, but had ran some kind of sequence of commands to get to some menu to push some option that showed a bunch of system information on a screen similar to booting in comp. mode and it started working great after. I apologize for the response jumping from bits of info to bits of info (just remembered having to do that). I did have to do that before it booted correctly as the first time it loaded to a point then stopped but allowed me to get preform the sequence to run it.

Return to “Installation & Boot”