No web pages in spite of network connection

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PhysicsIsPhun

No web pages in spite of network connection

Post by PhysicsIsPhun »

G'day All,

My perfectly working Maya box was restarted and now cannot display web pages in Firefox. It responds with "server not found".

I can ping the internal interface of my router and the external interface and the router's gateway which is the next hop along so I have full internet connectivity.

Now for the really funky bit. My netgear router has a test feature where it loads the netgear website in a popup window to show the settings are correct. If it loads an address with the word success appears in the address bar of the popup. If there is an issue then a different address appears. The popup window indicates a successful connection to the net gear site but firefox reports "cannot find server".

Other computers have full internet functionality when connected to the same blue cable so the fault has to lie in the mint box.

There are no proxies set and I have done a "sudo ufw disable". I don't have another browser on the box and with no internet I cannot easily install one.

Does anyone have a clever idea?

Cheers,
Andrew.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PhysicsIsPhun

Re: No web pages in spite of network connection

Post by PhysicsIsPhun »

--SOLVED--

Missing & incorrect DNS data in the networking config.

For some reason it had an incorrect address for the router and it did not have either of my ISP's DNS servers so I added them as well. All is well.

Thanks for those who looked and thought.

A.

Return to “Networking”